Peugeot 106 engine squeal - grangerd51
My daughter's Peugeot 106 intermittently produces a squeal from the engine. Can happen when stationary or moving. Lasts for seconds or up to a minute then disappears. Most likely to happen when cold or soon after starting but also has occured when engine is warm (not fully hot). Doesn't stop when clutch is depressed nor does it seem to be clutch release bearing. Any ideas welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
Peugeot 106 engine squeal - DL
A loose alternator belt will be the culprit.

Easy for you or a garage to adjust.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 106 engine squeal - grangerd51
Thanks DL I'll give it a try when she gets home - seemed pretty tight when I checked it recently though but I'll pull it up a bit more and see how it goes.
Peugeot 106 engine squeal - mfarrow
I wouldn't tighten it too much (more than recommended) as it puts strain on the alternator bearings. If the belt rubber is cracking or is quite old I'd replace.
Peugeot 106 engine squeal - Carl2
Water pump? cam tensioner? depending on what year and if it is petrol . A tensioning tool is available from laser tools for about £6.oo code 3110. Belt about £6.oo. Tensioner about £14.00.Waterpump [guess] about £16.00. So hopefully should not turn out to be to expensive.
Peugeot 106 engine squeal - DL
The reason I think it is the alternator belt is that the alternator is under greatest load just after starting the engine - explaining the squeal after cold starts.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 106 engine squeal - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Inlet manifold sealing rings between plastic manifold (D'oh!) and head flatten off with time and small amounts of air leaking past can cause a squeal at odd moments, usually disappears when you rev it though
Andrew
--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Peugeot 106 engine squeal - Civic8
Andrew thought that to be off rover 420..Dont know the pug.see your point though
--
Steve