Prestige marques - mikeberrington
Hello,

Your advice please. With about £10K to spend I am undecided whether to play it safe and go for an almost new Mondeo or, making a big switch for me(!), opt for a 3 / 4 year 'quality' car such as a Saab, Merc, BMW etc but probably with 75,000+ on the clock? Is there really a big difference these days between the best of the repmobiles and the premium marques or is largely now just snob value in having the right badge on the bonnet?

Thanks,

Mike.
Prestige marques - Aprilia
Hello,
Your advice please. With about £10K to spend I am undecided
whether to play it safe and go for an almost new
Mondeo or, making a big switch for me(!), opt for a
3 / 4 year 'quality' car such as a Saab, Merc,
BMW etc but probably with 75,000+ on the clock? Is there
really a big difference these days between the best of the
repmobiles and the premium marques or is largely now just snob
value in having the right badge on the bonnet?
Thanks,
Mike.

>>

A good question.
I have owned a wide variety of cars, including BMW 7-series and various Mercs. I have never owned a Ford, but I've driven most models including the latest Mondeo.
For my money the all-round 'best' car I've ever owned is my wife's Nissan Primera 2.0i GT. I bought it for her new in 1998 - it was cheap to buy, its tremendous fun to drive, stands in the driveway in all weather and still has its original battey, discs/pads, exhaust etc. - in fact almost everything. And its been 100% reliable.

I think that 10-15 years ago there was a real gulf between the quality and design of a 'prestige marque' and a Ford/Vauxhall. With modern design and manufacturing techniques that gulf has been closed. Nowadays the prestige manufacturers emphasise 'lifestyle' and play on their branding. They no longer claim that their cars are more reliable than cheaper brands (mostly they are not) and the low cost of safety technology like ABS and airbags mean that there is not so much difference in crash ratings.
I really do think that a new Mondeo is likely to be a better buy than a 2000 MY C-class at 75k miles, for example, and you have the security of the warranty. The trim inside the Merc is nicer though...
Prestige marques - Adam {P}
Personal preference of course but 10 grand for a car with 75k on is a lot isn't it?

Nowadays, 75k isn't that much is it as long as they are looked after - especially your Mercs etc... but like Aprilia said - think of the Mondeo you could get for 10k. I'd look for a year old one or thereabout and get a really good one and of course - the warranty.

My opinion of course though. I know many people don't like Fords but if you drive a new Mondeo, pretty much like the Focus, it will impress you. You can throw it around corners and it holds. I'm speaking more of the Focus now because I've not driven a Mondeo that much but I'm guessing they're the same drive...ish. At least with Ford, you know you're getting something reliable - espcially with it being practically new.

I wish you luck whatever you buy.

Can you tell I like Fords?
--
Adam
Prestige marques - NARU
After running a new BMW 330d SE Touring from new for four years/93,000 miles I'm moving to a Mondeo. People at work think I'm mad (they're very image conscious) but I've had enough of the BMW dealers.

The car was fine. It did have a few faults which should have been fixed by the dealer but weren't!!!
Prestige marques - v8man
I have driven loads of new shape Mondeos and they are fabulous. The ST220 is fantastic - unfortunately outside you budget though. I have also managed good economy out of the 1.8 regularly getting 4ompg on runs.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Prestige marques - Aprilia
Yes, the latest Mondeo is a great drive. I'm a lifelong Mercedes fan and paid up member of the owners club etc. (and C-class owner) but I have to say that the Mondeo is a nicer drive than the older (i.e. not the just-released) C-class. Not driven latest C-class so can't comment on it.

Having owned a BMW I would never touch one again. The cars are good, if a little over priced, but the image of the smaller ones is terrible (a small number of agressive drivers have spoilt it) and the dealer service I had was appalling value for money. Frankly a joke.

For £10k you could get a 6-month old Mondeo LX or a slightly older higher spec model. Try these people, they usually have a few Mondeos at a good price:

www.availablecar.com
Prestige marques - P 2501
Very true how the so called prestige manufacturers now play on lifestyle and image. Not so long ago it did seem that cars like BMW and Audi were well ahead of Ford/Vauxhall, but not any more.

I would get that mondeo, they really are a lovely drive (ihave driven two and was very impressed). I can't really fault them.