One for the C5 drivers - carl_a
I was parked up yesterday, in front of me was a C5 and the front was lifting up a few inches then dropping down a few seconds later, this happened several times a minute. It was parked on a slight slope with the engine off and no one inside, was this normal ?
One for the C5 drivers - Quinny100
Not really normal, no. C5's do level with the engine off as the pump is electric rather than mechanical, but they shouldn't keep moving up and down as this just flattens the battery.
One for the C5 drivers - SjB {P}
My neighbour's early first generation (Y plate) C5 suffered from this fault after another fault with the rear suspension (which would completely collapse down to the bump rubbers over a period of time) was fixed.
One for the C5 drivers - machika
I have noticed that ours moves up and then down, after I have got out of it, but I don't think it moves again after this. Having said that, I have only noticed it since we had the new rear axle beam fitted, after which the dealer had to reset the ride height at the back.
One for the C5 drivers - Ben79
I have heard about a broken height sensor in some C5's. This causes the suspension to rise and lower. I don't believe it flattens the battery too much, because the computer shuts down electrical systems when it's not happy.
One for the C5 drivers - machika
Is it possible ours could have been damaged during the work on the rear axle beam? We had to have an ABS sensor replaced as it was, that they wouldn't take responsibility for.
One for the C5 drivers - Mondaywoe
I've never had any problems with this, although I have heard of it happening. There have been theories of fluid redistributing itself or things blowing about under the car affecting the sensors - not sure if there's anything in it.

My favourite party trick is to open the boot (ignition off) and sit on the ledge. The suspension pump immediately kicks in and lifts your feet off the floor!

C5 does have an electrical cutout to prevent the battery going flat. If you sit in the car and listen to the radio (ignition off) you get about 30 minutes before it goes into economy mode!

These cars have a life of their own! Again, while sitting in the car you can catch sight of speedo / rev counter needles twitching occasionally and relays clicking behind the dashboard!

A car with attitude!

Graeme
One for the C5 drivers - Vincentus
A car with attitude!

ehm... Unreliable ?
One for the C5 drivers - JohnPug
More like character!
Character..... like the "I'll turn the headlamps from full to dipped beams when I feel like it, not the very instant you pull the switch."

and "Ha ha mate, you might be driving but if you press the horn quickly I'll be silent, it's only a good long blast from me pal"

"You may be impatient and started the engine with the passenger door open, but don't think when that when you close the door, I'll turn the light off, no mate, you'll have to wait til 1/4 mile down the road. All in good time. Don't rush me"

"I'm in charge of windscreen wiping here, yes, you are stationery but I think you want the wipers on warp speed for this light drizzle"

Just a small insight into the mind of a C5.
One for the C5 drivers - Vincentus
Blimey...
I was planning on buying that New Look C5 for a long time, but now that you mentioned all these things - I'm scared.
One for the C5 drivers - Mondaywoe
It's a multiplex thing..........you get used to it! As is normally the case, ALL cars will eventually do what Citroen has been doing for years. I see the humble Astra has just acquired headlights that move with the steering. How very modern - NOT - the Citroen DS had them back in the 50s.AFAIK the new C5 has them too.

Poor old Citroen always seems to have the courage to introduce innovations - only to spend the first year or so sorting out the teething troubles. After that, everyone else jumps on the bandwagon and reaps the rewards.

Don't worry about the complexity of the C5 - considering the sophistication of the car it's actually very reliable.

Graeme

I'm sure Graeme would agree, the C5 is a good car, and we would both buy another one.

I like the automatic headlamps, it always ensures you have light on when it is dark. Sometimes it puts the headlamps on when I would prefer sidelights, but then a quick turn of the stalk and they are changed. It avoids being unlit.

They are characteristics that I noted above, not faults or problems. You get used to them. Like a dog that chases its tail, it becomes cute.
One for the C5 drivers - SjB {P}
> It's a multiplex thing

Well, Dad's 1998 S80 and my 2003 V70 are multiplexed too, as well as being hugely complex in terms of the number of systems and what they do, but they know who's in control, and do as they're told!