Italian Electrics - Robin Reliant
Guy across the road bought himself a 51 reg Alfa two months ago, not sure of the exact model name but the one with T-Spark on the back.

Anyway, I got home from work quite late tonight and as I was unloading the car I could here what sounded like someone's central locking being activated every few seconds. Couldn't see any one about in the driveways opposite where the noise seemed to be coming from, and listened to this for about five minutes or more. Then the alarm on the Alfa went off, and the neighbour came out to investigate. What was happening was the electric fuel filler cap was opening and shutting of it's own accord which was the noise I had heard. He had to operate the key fob five or six times before it stopped.

When I commented he said a few loud prayers about Italian cars and reckoned all the electrics had started going haywire, the mirrors self adjusting of their own accord while he was driving and the boot lid releasing every now and again among many other things. It is due in to be looked at tomorrow, but he is now wishing he had never bought it. Apparantly when he told the dealer on the phone that he might disconect the battery overnight, he was advised not to as that would confuse the ECU and cause real problems.

I know Italian electrics have had a reputation for being a bit eccentric in the past, but I thought they had got their act together by now.

Or is he just unlucky. (With apologies to the Alfa fans on this forum)
Italian Electrics - teabelly
The electrics on alfas are made by Bosch... Sounds like he has a dodgy earth somewhere or wires from different circuits are touching to me. I wouldn't expect an alfa dealer to find it as they seem to be muppets. If it is out of the 3 year warranty then get him to take it to a proper auto electrician as they will find it much more quickly and probably find it the first time :-)

teabelly
Italian Electrics - No Do$h
A 147 owner has had similar problems on www.alfaowner.com

iirc it was a good 6 months back. Not heard of any other instances like this. That's multiplex wiring for you.