Computer related questions. Volume 30 - Dynamic Dave

******** This thread now closed. Please see Volume 31 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26599

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 30. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

How do you make a laptop unrepairable? - PoloGirl
I have coverplan for my laptop until Dec 31st this year. It's 3 years old then, and to be honest I'd quite like a nice shiny new one!

It is covered for accidental damage, and if they can't fix it in 6 weeks, I get a new one.

Flatmate has already accidentally fed the laptop half a bottle of wine...they just fixed it and sent it back (minus power adaptor which still hasn't appeared, but lovely Mark sorted that out!)

I dropped it yesterday, and the casing is cracked in several places, and the screen dims at random. Add to this random bouts of freezing and you have one poorly laptop. Question is, is it poorly enough to be scrapped?

What more can I do and still make it accidental?

(Ever so slightly t.i.c by the way!)
How do you make a laptop unrepairable? - Robin Reliant
Upgrade to SP2. That should put it beyond all hope.
How do you make a laptop unrepairable? - Stuartli
>>That should put it beyond all hope.>>

Quite an unnecessary comment and one, if your system is running smoothly, completely untrue.

My daughter's Toshiba Satellite, bought secondhand but still with two of its three years' warranty remaining, had to have a new screen when the display failed after a year.

Toshiba met the £600 cost of the repair without quibble.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
How do you make a laptop unrepairable? - Altea Ego
Actually PG, given the treatment its had, and the fact its been taken to bits and put back together, and its now showing signs of teenage tantrums... I would out it on ebay and get a new one.
"What more can I do and still make it accidental?"

Real tales from the company i work with who have nearly 10,000 lap tops in use.

One jumped out of a motorbike pannier and traveled down the motorway at 80 mph. (owner most upset, still worked)

lots and lots left on the car roof and owner drives away where it falls off at various speeds gets run over by car/lorry/bus/taxi/milk float

several left in bag behind car whence owner reverses over it.

one used as a "hard surface" to put the jack on when trying to jack up car in muddy verge

loads stolen from train luggage rack

lots and lots knicked from car.

How do you make a laptop unrepairable? - Dynamic Dave
I have coverplan for my laptop until Dec 31st this year.
It is covered for accidental damage,
What more can I do and still make it accidental?

Whilst talking to a salesman about updating my PC as my old one was nearly 5 yrs old with a coverplan warranty offering the same terms as yours, he quite seriously said to me "bout time it fell down the stairs mate".
How do you make a laptop unrepairable? - PoloGirl
Hmmm...

"Yes, Mr Coverplan, I know I live in a second floor flat and therefore have no stairs inside, and I know I do PR for a company who, amongst other things, make laptop bags which can allegedly stand up to anything... but I swear it just jumped off the balcony of it's own accord, landed in a swamp (in Wolverhampton) and is now completely unusable."

I can see how that would work. ;)

Problem is it might just well work!

Needs something more errrrr outrageous?
How do you make a laptop unrepairable? - smokie
If we are in to defrauding insurance, why not just say you were burgled?

That way, the cost will be spread amongst the rest of us law abiding idiots who pay sunstantial amounts for insurance and never make a claim.

:-)

it's not often I post something that makes me feel self righteous :-)
How do you make a laptop unrepairable? - Stuartli
>>and never make a claim>>

You've no stairs then either...:-))
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Just for Chris and Stuart. - Phil I
Seconds out - Round (think of a number) - Box on

www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_win.../
running outdated software - tyro
I have an old piece of software, which I like. It runs fine on Windows 95, but when I run it on Windows XP (even in Windows 95 compatability mode), the program crashes within a minute, and I get an error message which says that the program has caused a General Protection Fault in module DVI.DLL at 0002:06FB.

I don't suppose I can do anything that will make it run on XP. Do you think it would run OK on Windows 98?

Thanks
running outdated software - smokie
You could try running in compatibility mode in XP. It isn't always successful but sometimes works.

Create a desktop shortcut to the program then right click on it. Go to Properties and set compatibility mode to Windows 9x.
Oh, and your question - yes it will probably be OK on Windows 98. Depends a bit on whether it uses device drivers, as these are not always compatible. But often you can find updated drivers for products on web sites, especially between Windows 9x versions, but some products were virtually obsolete an software authors haven't bothered updating to XP drivers.
Oops, just read that you tried compatibity mode,. Where's the Delete button here??? :-)
running outdated software - Altea Ego
Whats the software? there might be a better version for XP?
running outdated software - tyro
The software is Logos.

I've been down that avenue, & looked for equivalents - the closest I can find seem to cost an arm and a leg & throw in a lot of bells and whistles. It's not a common bit of software, and even ebay doesn't help a lot - though I've not given up!
Lost Sound/Volume Control - tomandjerry56
Have lost all sound/volume control on our computer. Is there anyway of getting it back? Have search the computers files for the volume control but have found nothing. Is there a download out there that can replace the sound/volume control??
Lost Sound/Volume Control - IanT
In Windows 98, the volume control is SNDVOL32.EXE in the Windows folder. Normally found under Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Volume Control.

Ian
Lost Sound/Volume Control - Citroënian {P}
on XP - Control Panel, Sounds & Audio Devices, tick the "place the volume icon in task bar box"

hth

--
Lee
MINI adventure over. Now having a Fabialous time.
Read HP PCL code -- as sent to printer - buzbee
I have 20 or so small files that were produced simply by 'printing to file' what woud otherwise have gone to an (old) HP LJ3 laser printer. Such early HP PCL code can be printed by almost any make of printer that has the PCL mode built in.

My files are actually addresses and previously, when I needed an envelope addressed to Jo Bloggs, I just dropped a Jo Bloggs PCL file on to a batch file, that I had written, and off it went to the printer; job done.

Very nice, you might think, except I now don't have a PCL printer! Although I bought a new one it chewed envelopes and I got fed up of clearing paper jams so it went back.

Unfortunately, I need the addresses.

My question is, does anyone know of freebee software that I can use to read or print my PCL files? I can retype them if I can read them. I looked on Google but they all seem to want to charge me serious money.

My present laser is a cheapo HP 1010 that does not have PCL. Early days yet but it seems an excellent little box.

Read HP PCL code -- as sent to printer - frostbite
Think this should be in 'computer related questions' but anyway....

Quick View Plus is a freebie that opens vast numbers of formats - do a Google or look on Tucows.

hth
Read HP PCL code -- as sent to printer - No Do$h

And with a flick of my moderating wand...
Read HP PCL code -- as sent to printer - IanT
Try "pcl2pdf".

A free evaluation copy is available from www.visual.co.uk/pcl2pdfevaluations.asp . This will convert your pcl files into Adobe Acrobat pdf files.

The restrictions of the evaluation version may not be significant in your situation.

Ian
Read HP PCL code -- as sent to printer - IanT
The same company also sells "Jetpcl" which converts pcl to tif and fax formats, and "Visual PCL/2" which lets you view pcl files in Windows.

The full versions of all these products are very expensive, but, once again, evaluation versions are available which may well suit you.

Ian

Your move (Mod) had the effect of stopping me seeing any answers to my post! but was thwarted by a kind sole who left me a message, on the ORIGINAL posting site, that said where my post had been shifted to!

Thanks to those who offered solutions. And yes, I DO put addresses in Word format but not many of these ones.
I looked at 'Quick View Plus' to see the files it handled and PCL was not one of them.

The PCL2PDF program looks impressive with its $1295 price tag.

The freebee (complete program but has watermark) turned out to be disappointing. One of my files was readable after conversion-- just one letter was displaced sideways up against another. But generally they were not.

A standard font faired better than the script one I used because the post code, in Times, came out OK, but there was little else readable.

The nice bit about saving and using PCL is it contains all the instructions to do the print job. Just send it to the printer. As apposed to saving Word files and then needing load Word before you can print an envelope. Think of Xmas lists. I have been doing it for years. But I have never heard of anyone else doing it.
Read HP PCL code -- as sent to printer - Citroënian {P}
PCL as a storage format? You learn something new eveyday!

Aside from the approaches suggested, you could just find a friend/colleague running a printer which is PCL compatible and get them to print it out.

The real answer though, is to transfer the addresses to something more suitable, even if just Excel or Word, or Notepad for that matter.

Good luck!
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
PCL Printer code. How to read it? - Welliesorter
My question is, can anyone help me by pointing me towards
some freebee software that will read or print my PCL files?
I looked on Google but they all seem to want
to charge me serious money. More than I paid for the
printer!

You could try Ghostscript from www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

You'll need to install both Ghostscript itself and GSview. If you're usng Windows, the file names are gs814w32.exe and gsv46w32.exe respectively.

GSview has the ability to export in a variety of formats, including PDF and various graphics types.

It's worth a try, and if it doesn't open your files the software won't have cost you anything. Unfortunately I don't have any PCL files with which to try it myself.
PCL Printer code. How to read it? - buzbee
SiB -- So that's where it went! Thanks. {As too does this one!! DD}

WS -- Thanks for that.
SP2. Any Tips? - Timaru
Hi - Does anybody have any quick simple tips on how to get SP2 to run problem free.

After installing SP2 my comp. took between 5 and 10 attempts to boot up and once running the mouse and key board would be frozen out once or twice a session.

I have now un-installed it and things are back to normal.

Thanks in advance, Jon.
SP2. Any Tips? - Robin Reliant
Those who know about the Black Arts of operating systems will no doubt admonish me for this, but my SP2 has been sent to software heaven with a one way ticket.

A complete re-install of xp was a time consuming and unfunny business I don't wish to repeat.
SP2. Any Tips? - Welliesorter
A complete re-install of xp was a time consuming and unfunny
business I don't wish to repeat.

At a guess (and one that's based on no personal experience) SP2 would work ok on top of a clean installation, even if it didn't on one that had had lots of software installed.

I downloaded SP2 as soon as it became available and have had no problems whatsoever.
SP2. Any Tips? - David Horn
Likewise. Gets on just fine on my IBM Thinkpad.

Tom, have you tried Slipstreaming it on to a new XP CD and installing that way? May fix the problems.
It might if I knew what slipstreaming it meant.
SP2. Any Tips? - DavidHM
My desktop PC (2.5 years old, P4 1.8 / 512) took SP2 without a single problem. The much newer laptop (6 months, AMD64 3000/512) wouldn't boot except into safe mode because of a BIOS incompatibility with the buffer overrun prevention built into SP2.

My point is that not all SP2 issues are software related: in fact, I'd go as far as saying that if the PC is properly maintained, patched, and drivers updated etc., with all uninstalled programs cleaned properly and no kludge, spyware, etc., installed, that the majority of the issues will arise with hardware problems.
Interesting, that. My PC has an AMD Athlon, and my problem was pretty much the same.
windows clock - Imagos
I'm unable to put my clock back an hour even though it's got daylight saving time auto adjust ticked, it never changed. Can't do it manually either. Got atomic clock installed that didn;t work. Running ME. any ideas? this has never happened before and had PC 2 years.
windows clock - Citroënian {P}
Atomic clock? Try and uninstall the software for it

Control Panel - Add Remove programs

then reboot, and see what happens.

--
Lee
MINI adventure over. Now having a Fabialous time.
Dumping XP for W98SE - frostbite
My friend has had endless aggravations with XP and wants to wipe the HD and install 98SE, or rather he wants me to do it for him.

If I make a regular startup floppy using XP will this be fully compatible with the W98 installation routine?
Dumping XP for W98SE - David Horn
The worst thing he can do is go back to 98. Seriously - he'll regret it!

Tom - slipstreaming means taking the original XP CD, and retrospectively applying SP2 to it. So, when you install, SP2 is already configured and built in.

"For end users, slipstreaming can also be useful. For example, you can copy the installation directory from your XP CD-ROM to the hard drive, slipstream the XP SP2 files into that installation directory, and than write it back to a recordable CD, giving you a bootable copy of the XP setup disk that includes SP2 right out of the box (so to speak)."

www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipst...p

(Interestingly, right after copying that, I got my first ever blue screen crash in Windows XP. First in 4 years, in fact. Oh, the irony.) In my experience, Windows XP is the best thing to ever come out of Microsoft.
Dumping XP for W98SE - Adam {P}
You have to be the only person who has never had an XP crash till now! ;-)

If you want my advice, 2000. I got XP - put it on and got fed up with the instabilty - whacked 2000 back on, perfect for years. Mind you, Jesse had XP for 4 years with no problems.

Luck of the draw I guess.
--
Adam
Dumping XP for W98SE - Welliesorter
The worst thing he can do is go back to 98.
Seriously - he'll regret it!

I'd have to agree that it's a really bad idea. Much as I hate to give money to Billionaire Bill, I was an early adopter of XP and haven't regretted it. With 95/98/Me a crash could completely freeze your PC and bring down Windows. This doesn't happen with NT/2000/XP. More importantly, 98 won't be supported by Microsoft for much longer and you won't be able to get essential security updates.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell you to adopt Linux. Actually that would be a better idea than reverting to 98 but it's still not for everyone.
Dumping XP for W98SE - Adam {P}
Now that you mention it, Red Hat does have it's advantages....;-)
--
Adam
Dumping XP for W98SE - Altea Ego
Its no good dumping XP and putting on 98se until you fix the underlying problem. Yes there is an underlying problem that will cause 98se to crash just as often as XP.
Dumping XP for W98SE - cheddar
Its no good dumping XP and putting on 98se until you
fix the underlying problem. Yes there is an underlying problem that
will cause 98se to crash just as often as XP.

The problem could be with the installtion of XP, if the h/d is formatted the loading either 98SE or XP from scratch will probably fix it.

98SE is the best Windows to date, I have XP Pro on my laptop and find it frustrating, ok you don't have to restart as often when loading new apps however XP nannies the user with too many "are you sure"'s etc. Just try START/FIND/FILESorFOLDERS on both and see which works best.

I have updated my 98SE desk top regularly via MS Windows Updates and there is very little it cannot do that XP can, it takes less system resources and is more stable.
Dumping XP for W98SE - THe Growler
I also detested XP. I bought a new laptop with it on, it took nearly 4 minutes to boot up every time and was about as fast as a snail on Mogadon. When I took it back to the shop they said, oh, that's the way it is. So I went over to 98SE like my other PC with the greatest relief.

The frequent 98 crashes, and I admit I got them too, were solved in a few minutes by the phone company tech when he came to instal my DSL line. The software CD has a utility called PC Cleaner on it. He said my problems were old dlls and stuff left over from the past hanging around and causing conflicts. He ran PC Cleaner, which produced dozens of this things and labelled them as redundant. Wiped them off and have had only one crash now in 15 months on SE, and that I suspect was my fault.

XP seemed to me the classic example of MS bringing out something just to get you to spend money and trade up. You can keep it. I'm happy with what I've got.
Dumping XP for W98SE - Dalglish
My friend has had endless aggravations with XP and wants to
wipe the HD and install 98SE

>>

well, if that is what he wants, it is his choice.

sorry i cannot help and but i will join those who when asked the question: "how do i get from a to b?" , - reply "don't start from a".

i have access to 4 computers currently, 3 running xp and upgraded to sp2 effortlessly. one is on win98se which is forever crashing and frezing but for various reasons will not be uprated to xp as yet.

Dumping XP for W98SE - Hairyharry
My friend has had endless aggravations with XP and wants to
wipe the HD and install 98SE

I think alot of pc problems are driver related. Firstly I would check if there are driver updates available for your friend's pc. If this doesn't help it may well be worth trying 98SE.

My son had a laptop from school when he entered the 6th form. The school had bought 30 as a job lot and they had nothing but problems with them, after a month or so my son had stopped bothering with his and the school seemed unable to come up with any answers so I attempted to sort it out for him. Eventually, after a lot of hassle I wiped the drive and installed 98SE, his laptop has now behaved perfectly for over a year now, as have those laptops of his friends who also installed 98SE.
Dumping XP for W98SE - frostbite
Thanks all. Looks like the 'don't do it' camp has a slight edge but I doubt he will change his mind as he hates XP.

With headlines like:-

"Three new variants of the Bagle worm, which can disable the latest firewall protection in Windows, were discovered on Friday and antivirus companies are bracing for a surge of infections during the day." (zdnet)

I can't say I blame him.

Anyone got any views on the floppy question?
floppy? yes. BUT highly unlikely 98 will install on XP (or if it does it will leave bits of XP behind and be a very messy install. You need to use XP cd to boot to command console (if CD is bootable) or a set of install flopies (XP or 98SE) to reformat drive and remove XP

Re bagle worm, it affects 98SE as well you know.
Dumping XP for W98SE - Welliesorter
"Three new variants of the Bagle worm, which can disable the
latest firewall protection in Windows...

It can't do that with 98SE because it doesn't have its own firewall!
Gets in all that much faster then cos it does not have to work so hard.
Keyboard Problem - The Count
Hello all

Just a quick one - the keyboard on my computer seems to have decided that it is only going to type in capitals when I'm using Word. This is obviously a little inconvenient and, as you can see, the problem seems to be restricted to Word.

Any ideas folks?

Thanks in anticipation...

TC

--

One a-ha-ha, two a-ha-ha, I love to count a-ha-ha-ha-ha!

{Subject header amended, and question moved to correct part of thread. See the "PLEASE NOTE" message at the top of the thread for info. DD}
Keyboard Problem - Number_Cruncher
TC,

Does it misbehave in all fonts?

number_cruncher
Keyboard Problem - Dynamic Dave
the keyboard on my computer seems to have decided that it is only going to type in
capitals when I'm using Word.

What have you got the default 'style' and 'font' settings set to? Generally they should be set to "Normal" and "Times New Roman". If for instance you've got the 'font' set to "Copperplate Gothic Bold" or "Copperplate Gothic Light" then that'll default to UPPERCASE letters.
Keyboard Problem - budu
A bit elementary (I only do elementary), but have you tried clicking on Format in Word then on Change Case and - changing cases?
Keyboard Problem - DavidHM
Most likely it's along these lines. The default font can be set to All Caps - hitting caps lock or shift would then have no effect. I don't actually have Word on my home machine so I can't run through it with you but what Dynamic said would do the job, just remembering to look at the check box for all caps.
Outlook Express problem. - tomandjerry56
i was wondering if any one can help i seem to be having trouble acessing my outlook express when i go to my mail it is coming up with could not be started because msoe. dLL could not be loaded
Outlook Express problem. - Stuartli
You can either download the Dynamic Library Link (dll) from:

www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msoe

or try (if you have OE5) going to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Microsoft OE in the list and double clicking on it.

You should then get a menu of three choices - select Repair.
What's for you won't pass you by
Spybot Update. - Pugugly {P}

Spybot has a number of updates for October.
Spybot Update. - Dwight Van Driver
Caution gentlemen...

For what its worth on the ME site elsewhere problem has been reported with the 10.26.04 update?

tinyurl.com/4zth6

DVD
Spybot Update. - L'escargot
Caution gentlemen...

.........and ladies. ;-)
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Spybot Update. - Dalglish
problem has been reported with the 10.26.04 update?

>>

not anymore, it would seem.

refer to spybot official forum at:

forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=239...7

"A new update "Advanched check library" is released, which should fix the bugs that appear since the detection update from 26.10.04 (win.ini/system.ini-problems)."

Age based rules for Microsoft Outlook - SjB {P}
Does any BRer know how to set up a rule to forward mail to another address on the same server if it is unopened after a given period of time, please?

From what I have found (Tools / Rules Wizard / New / Start from a blank rule), Standard client rules allow mail handling based on absolute date, but not on relative date, and I have no experience with defining server rules to know where to look.

The client operating system is XP Professional, and the mail client Microsoft Outlook (not Express) running against Exchange Server 2000.

Many thanks!
Age based rules for Microsoft Outlook - smokie
I don't believe you could do this with rules as rules only operate when an action happens on the email (arrival, sending). The server wouldn't be looking at the mail at any other time and therefore couldn't process a rule.

Don't you know any programmers who could knock something up for you? :-)
Age based rules for Microsoft Outlook - SjB {P}
Thanks for the reply, Smokie, which makes perfect sense. I just wondered if Outlook monitored on arrival or sending for a rule, which was then stored in an 'active rules' table and periodically checked. Obviously not. :-(

As for a programmer, well, if Outlook ran in an Oracle relational database, I'd have no problems finding someone to help. In fact, I could almost certainly write it myself! :-)

Cheers.

Unused Icons - WinXP. - Dynamic Dave

Anyone know how to permanently get rid of the "there are unused icons on your desktop" message that periodically pops up in the tool tray?

Unused Icons - WinXP. - Pugugly {P}
Change Operating Systems......or

The Desktop Cleanup Wizard displays a list of the desktop icons that have not been used for 60 days or more, enabling you to remove those icons that you don't want on your desktop. You can retrieve icons you have removed by opening the Unused Desktop Shortcuts folder on your desktop.
Clear the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days check box if you don't want the wizard to run automatically every two months.
Unused Icons - WinXP. - smokie
or...use all the icons at least once every 60 days! :-)
Change Operating Systems......or
The Desktop Cleanup Wizard displays a list of the desktop icons
that have not been used for 60 days or more,

I wouldn't mind if it only popped up once in every 60 days or so. It happens weekly.
Clear the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days check box....

I haven't seen that box. Will keep an eye out next week when it's sure to pop up again.

Unused Icons - WinXP. - Citroënian {P}
www.tweakxp.com/tweak854.aspx

Be careful with Regedit though!!
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
Unused Icons - WinXP. - Dalglish
Be careful with Regedit though!!

>>

lee -
agreed, especially when the disabling of 60 days cleanup that your tweakxp link provides can be safely achieved by:

contol panel > display > customize desktop > untick 60 day auto cleanup.

Unused Icons - WinXP. - Dalglish
Anyone know how to permanently get rid of the "there are
unused icons on your desktop" message that periodically pops
up in the tool tray?

>>

dynamic:

yes, easy, no need to use regedit.

open toolbars & start menu properties (right click empty space in toolbar, etc.).
then click on "customize button of hide inactive icons
and then scroll down to "there are unused buttons .." and change "behaviour" to suit.

hope that helps. [surprised you are not your dynamic self on this today ! ;-0 ]

contol panel > display > customize desktop > untick 60 day auto cleanup....
open toolbars & start menu properties....

So *that's* where it's been hiding!! Thanks Dalgish (and others)

iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
I have an iPAQ 6340 running Pocket PC2003. The iPAQ has its own SIM and is quite capable of connecting to anything else in a variety of ways. I have the headset on bluetooth, synch on USB etc. etc.

However, sometimes I do not want it to dial out using its own SIM, I would prefer it Bluetooths to another phone and uses that to dial out.

This is easy on previous iPAQs, in fact without the GSM backpack its the only way. However, this iPAQ is having none of it. I can see the phone, it can pick up services from that phone, it can connect (pair) with that phone but it is flatly refusing to do any dialling stuff.

I am beginning to suspect that since it has its own SIM it is no longer able to dial out using a cell phone, despite the manually implying (without telling you how to do it) that it will do so.

I can even get another non-SIM iPAQ to dial out using my iPAQ, but mine will not dial out using anything other than its own on-board capabilities.

I can use my other 5400 series iPAQ to dial out via the phone, so it isn't the phone. and the 54 with the GSM back pack can switch between its own SIM and an external phone.

Any ideas ?

Mark.

p.s. this difficulty does not exist with any iPAQ prior to the 6300 series, and I know how to do it on all the others. But this one is different.
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
by the way, if you use any other iPAQ at all and like it, you'll love the 6300 series.
iPAQ 6340 - Altea Ego
Stating the ? obvious I know, but do you have "request connection authorisation" for that paired device to NO?
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
More or less. The otion seems to be slightly different on this one.

When using bluetooth to pick up the phone, the option to select the dial-up service is nto available. Which is confusing.
iPAQ 6340 - Citroënian {P}
Hi Mark,

Can't answer this directly, but if you go to www.expansys.com , find your phone to buy and then click on the support forums link, you'll find they're very helpful and don't seem to care if you've bought from them or not (might be a good idea not to broadcast if you bought elsewhere!)

hth,
--
Lee
Having a Fabialous time.
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
Mark,

Probably won't help you at all but it's something to eliminate. I don't have anything as posh as the 6340 but I have a 21 something or other. This doesn't have a SIM card so you're thinking it's irrelevant. However, I can make calls using other phones - or rather dial numbers using other phones. I use the cradle on my PC to get my email and so on but before I do this, I need to set up a network even though it's using a cradle to connect. Whenever I pop it into the cradle, it tries connecting to my sister's phone via bluetooth (mine doesn't have BT), trying to dial up via her phone and then says it cannot connect - which it won't be able to if she isn't here. It's only when I cancel that that it connects to the pc.

I understand it's quite different to your problem and maybe I cocked it up when setting it all up but Amy's phone seems to be the default connection regardless of however many phones I can access (I have about 4 friend's phones on there). It will always try to use her number first. I would suggest having a look (if it's the same) at the connection settings and just to test it, trying a number of a phone you wish to connect.

I apologise if this is no help whatsoever (which it more than likely won't be) but I do hope it is of some help.
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Altea Ego
It sounds like (wiggles ear lobe)

That you dont have a network connection configured for that phone via bluetooth so its not available,

or

You dont have a Bluetooth Modem object/device/driver.
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
Using the older iPAQ and discovering the phone, I am offered the following services;

COM 1
Dial-up Networking

Using the newer iPAQ and following the same process I am only offered;

COM 1

That is clearly my issue. But am I doing something wrong or is the iPAQ not able to do this ? If I am missing something, it can only be a setting somewhere that I'm not aware of.
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
Mark,

I could be way off but please humour me.

On the TODAY screen, to the left of the clock I am hoping there is a Connectivity icon - click that, then Settings - what do you get?
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
No, there isn't an icon called connectivity, nor is that an option within any of the menus that I can find.
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
Hmm - that kinda blew my theory out of the water. Either they're inherently different or there isn't a default connection set up I would guess.

To get to the same menu on mine, I would click START, SETTINGS, and the 3rd Tab along - CONNECTIONS.

Yours may be completely different though.
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
Which operating system are you using ?
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
Pocket PC 2003 Premium
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
When I look into Bluetooth settings, its all pretty much the same except that "Dial-Up Networking" is replaced with "Dial-Up Networking Server"
iPAQ 6340 - Altea Ego
Earlobe drops off....

Pass - Pocket Pc is not exactly my forte!
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
You're not on any mind expanding drugs are you RF?
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Altea Ego
Passes the time Adam, passes the time.
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
>>Pocket Pc is not exactly my forte!

I can't get the iPAQ to use DOS and DBase.
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
Well I never - I never noticed that menu before. Ok then, on the Dial Up Networking Server screen, what do you have?

Mine says only Dial-Up Networking but I have:

Enable Service

Authorization Required

Authentication (Passkey) Required

Encryption Required

Options:

COM Port:

Baud Rate

Flow Control

Are you getting anything remotely like that?
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
No.

That's exactly my issue.

The user guide says that you can connect to a phone, but I can't find out how and its different to any other version. What you're looking at I see on the 5550 or 5450, but not on the 6340.
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
Forgive my ignorance Mark but what exactly do you want to do?

Connect to a phone to make a call or connect to get some stuff off?

Sorry for being stupid - you'll have to dumb it down quite considerably.
--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Mark (RLBS)
Read my original note, Adam.

"However, sometimes I do not want it to dial out using its own SIM, I would prefer it Bluetooths to another phone and uses that to dial out."
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
No need to get shirty ;-)

Actually, as soon as I pressed the post button, I thought "Why didn't I read his original post?" - Sorry.

Using my Mum's phone, if I partner with it via bluetooth manager, then connect to that, I can dial any number I wish from the IPAQ. Not sure if I could use mine as a phone though as it isn't as posh as yours.

I'm all out of ideas (never had many to start with).

--
Adam
iPAQ 6340 - Adam {P}
I am an idiot. Disregard that last post as you're already up to that stage. Not familar with the higher models but have you tried taking the SIM card out? It may revert to using another phone to dial.

Again, sorry for being a moron.
--
Adam