I need help choosing a car - patp
I've been agonising for a month now trying to work out what I need. Perhaps you lot can help me resolve some issues. My budget is anything upto about 6k. Up until now I've never spent more than 1k on a car, currently riding around on a just-working Volvo 440 that we got of a mate's mum for 1100 4 years ago. It's been fine, but now we have two kids (3 and 1y) and I want something different. Trouble is, I'm not sure what it is I need. More space would be nice, but we live in London so it's only justfied for the odd long trip, maybe once a month. Safety is the other main thing, I want a a vehicle to keep the babes from harm in case of an accident. And reliability. And costs.

So far I have "definitely" been about to buy (with reasons I haven't in brackets):

Citroen Picasso (unreliable?)
Mazda Premacy (NCAP 3*)
Renault Scenic (unreliable?)
Nissan Almera Tino (gut reaction, didn't like it when I met it)

Then I started questioning whether we need an MPV and it was:

Mazda 323 (safe? big enough?)
Honda Civic (too small?)
Nissan Almera (big enough?)
Volvo V40 (too long for London parking)

Currrently I'm thinking Focus Estate.

And by now, with the opinions of a hundred journos in my head I simply don't know what to get.

Please help, before the 440 finally bites it and... oh. Maybe we don't even need a car.

As you can tell, I don't know my own mind.

Cheers,

John
I need help choosing a car - Happy Blue!
John

There is nothing wrong with any of your choices above, except maybe the Volvo. Its a dog.

The newer the car, the safer it will be.

There is lots of space in the Honda, far more than cars of similar external size. Very reliable. The Tino is perfectly adequate and better than the Premacy and Picasso, although Mazda have A1 reliablility.

The Focus is an excellent vehicle. Why the Estate? Do you need that much luggage capacity?

HAve you looked at a new car. The new Mitsubishi Colt can be bought for £8k and has lots of internal space for its size. You may get a good deal on finance which makes it cheaper than a 2nd hand car.

Have fun looking.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Yes, the Civic, everyone does say it's very spacious. Yet it looks so tiny! I guess I should have a proper look at one, as it fits the bill in many ways. The reason I thought a Focus estate is not that I need that much luggage space, but I found the Focus hatchback laughably tiny in that respect. Once you get a travel cot, 4 people's clothes, travel food, toys, a laptop and sundry other nonsense in, even the 440 is packed to the gills. So the Colt doesn't look the job.

I did consider finance, but we're a debt-averse family and I have no idea how it all works. We have 6k that we can afford to spend, and I haven't thought much beyond that. To my mind, borrowing money always benefits the lender, so best to avoid it if you can.
I need help choosing a car - helicopter
Patp - There is more than enough room in a Civic for all the usual kids requirements.

The added advantage is that they are top in most reliability surveys and the Dealers are usually excellent.

Have a look on the Auto trader link to your left - you can pick up a good one on your budget.
I need help choosing a car - tyre tread
Believe it or not you should look at a Jazz.

Yes I did say a Honda Jazz

There's a lot more room in there than you think. Much roomier inside than my wife's A4 (Yes I've been driving a Jazz for the last 2.5 years and 60k)and good enough to make regular long journeys.

It does 50mpg on a petrol engine and the seating combinations are endless.

Take a look at one and you might be surprised.

On the finance side, I work in the finance industry (25yrs) and work on the same basis as you. Borrowing is too expensive but if you must then go for a personal loan from one of the high street banks and compare rates before you sign up!
Jazz looks nice, but too expensive for me - can't be had for less than 6.5k. Looks like a fantastic machine though, if still a little small for us. The thing that attracted me to the Picasso, for example, was the ludicrous amount of luggage space. We've nowhere to put a roof box, and I do like to be able to shift the odd bit of furniture as well as go on holiday without playing tetris for a hour to get everything in!
I need help choosing a car - tyre tread
I'm about to sell my Jazz and it books around your budget!

The things I have transported you wouldn't belive - 2 full size filing cabinets (simultaneaously), 7 overhead lockers and moved my wife's student cousin from Surrey to Bradford with all his worldly belongings.

Roof bars as well!
how about this one:

2001 HONDA CIVIC 1.6i VTEC SE 5dr Hatchback
New shape.Met Silver.A/C,E/S,ABS,Anti theft system,CD,C/L,PAS,E/H/M.1 owner with FSH.New service,Immac & well looked after. 61000 miles. £5350.

They seem to keep their price, I'd think that was expensive for the miles. It's private but I'm a rubbish haggler.

I need help choosing a car - NowWheels
1 owner with FSH.New service,Immac & well looked after

No hairy legs on that car, then ...