C3 Clutch - Toxteth O'Grady
I have a 10 month old C3 (1.4 Desire 75bhp) which has done just on 8000 miles. The clutch has started slipping, so I took to the dealership to take a look.

They say the clutch has burned out and needs to be replaced, and that this is down to wear and tear. They would like a shade under £400 to replace it.

My wife drives the car mainley, and I know she is not prone to 'riding' the clutch, and has had no such problems with either of her previous cars, in which she covered more than 40000 miles.

Anybody else agree with me that this is unacceptable? If it is wear and tear, they must be using increadibly poor components in it's manufacture.

I've written to Citroen UK, who say it's tough, basically. They go by what the dealers advise.

Any suggestions for the best way to take this forward? It seems I only have my feeling it shouldn't have gone knowing how it's been driven (which I can't prove), against their mechanics saying it's just worn out.
C3 Clutch - Aprilia
With a small, light and relatively low powered car like that you would really have to going some to burn the clutch out in 8000 miles. Still, its a Citroen...

On a more helpful note it might be worth getting a second opinion on whether the clutch was incorrectly adjusted or the operating mechanism was faulty. A third-party vehicle inspection service or the AA/RAC might be able to help. Make sure that you keep the old parts once the job is done.
C3 Clutch - Mondaywoe
This doesn't seem right at all! My C5 has now done 37,500 miles - not even a suggestion of clutch wear. My previous Xantia went for 9 years / 105,000 miles and never had a new clutch. Even at that mileage there wasn't a hint of slippage.(The famous plastic clip at the top of the pedal was also original!)

I'm not sure about C3, but my C5 and many Peugeot/Cit models now have a sealed hydraulic clutch operating mechanism. These have been known to give trouble and when they do, the whole thing needs to be replaced as a unit (quite pricey I believe)That, however, should be covered by warranty because it's not a 'consumable' part like clutch linings. Moreover, if this is the culprit - or even a badly adjusted cable for that matter - you might be able to claim new linings on account of consequential damage.

If the clutch is actually burnt out in 8000 miles,it looks as if there has been an inherent fault from day one. At the very least, it would be interesting to have a look at the worn parts when they come out - maybe even send them to Citroen for their comments. They might relent and offer to pay part of the cost at least.

I'd be inclined to get a second opinion from another Citroen dealer.

Best of luck.

Graeme
C3 Clutch - PhilW
Are you sure it is not just badly adjusted? Is is cable or hydraulic? Can't believe that it would go in that time even if the clutch had been "ridden". My last 4 Citroens have done 170k, 140k, 90k and 75k. Only one required a new clutch and that was the first at about 100k - and all these cars have done a fair few miles with a caravan on the back.
C3 Clutch - Pete F
This is tricky because dealers know that some drivers do burn clutches and you can't prove otherwise. It is possibly caused by oil contamination from the rear crank seal, in which case it should be under warranty. Tell them you will have the old parts examined by the clutch supplier. If you are near Colchester, I will have a look at the old parts.
C3 Clutch - tartanraider
it's not unknown for manufacturers/main dealers to deny responsibility for some of the defects that crop up in their cars.I am very sceptical about the garage "explanation" but you will,in all probability have to be very persistent and may have to resort to the law.Do not allow yourself to become entangled in any slanging matches with the garage.Try and get another reasonable adult to be a witness if you have to visit the garage.Unfortunately,lawyers are as good as garages in my experience....
C3 Clutch - Toxteth O'Grady
quick update on this problem...

I took it to another dealership, who were actually interested! They went with me on a test drive, agreed it was slipping and it that it shouldn't be, and although they didn't commit there and then to replace it under warranty, they agreed to strip it down and take a look.

They rang to say some baring or other had gone, and they will replace it under warranty.

Good job I didn't just fork out the £400 to the 1st dealer.

Gotta go.. much complaining to Citroen UK to be done :-)
C3 Clutch - Martin Wall
Probably worth getting it fixed under warranty first *before* you go to Citroen, in case your new dealer decides it's not a warranty issue after all......
C3 Clutch - Mondaywoe
Sounds like the clutch release bearing. I do hope they sort this out for you under warranty. Stick in there!

Graeme
C3 Clutch - daveyK_UK
Complain to as many party's as you can, its even worth sending a copy to the local paper and your councillor who will be glad to publicise the dealerships inability.

I've noticed a growing trend in dealers abusing thier power and accusing customers of the most ridiculous of things.
Recenntly, a ford dealer refused to take any blame for a colleuges friends mondeo which had crashed after the driver breaking at the lights, found his chair mechanism loose and went flying forwards - the car whacked into another.
1 month earlier, the seat had been replaced since the one that came form the factory (car was only 2 months old) had a hidious stian form new, thus was replaced under warranty.

The dealership refused any responsibility 0 saying the owner or another driver - in the end blamed her kids (sh hasnt got any and is the only driver on the car!) for playing relentlessly with the mechanism for moving forwards and backwards - and refused any fault.

a local independant garage afterwards confirmed the mechanism was faulty, and in no way had the driver caused this.

the dealership eventually offered to pay some of the repair costs, but reused blame for the lot (fair enough) but it took her over a month to get them to een come and see the evidance.
shocking-when all she was asking for of them was to re-fit a new seat, and pay towards the cost of a new bumper and paintwork.
they slowly accepted to fit a new seat, and gave her the bumper at a 50% discount.

C3 Clutch - David Horn
It's things like this where people need to be more aware of the Small Claims Court. If I was in the same situation as your friend I'd have had the dealer in there bent backwards over a chair.

She's had the trauma of being in an accident where they could easily be said to be completely at fault, yet them almost seem to come out of it winning.

Honestjohn - I know the site can't offer legal advice, but perhaps an article detailing the sort of things that the SCC can be helpful with when dealing with dealers like this would be very useful!