diminution of value - flambe
I have a 7 month old Beetle cab bought brand new, it has developed a number of faults, mainly electrical, which have been rectified under warranty. During one such visit to the local dealer the valet person reversed the car into another car resulting in damage to rear offside. Dealer ?no problem we will replace offside wing and rear bumper, spray it up you?ll never know the difference. Oh yeah! After three attempts and three rejections we are now trying for a fourth time to get a decent colour match and a blemish free finish. What started as a small localized repair now involves repainting threequarters of the car.

Prior to the accident the car was original factory finish and immaculate with 5000 miles on the clock. During the past 7 months it has been at the dealership for a total of 3 months.

Question how will the fact most of the body has been resprayed affect its current value. Does diminution of value apply in these circumstances and if so how does one go about calculating a figure on the loss?
diminution of value - mark
Hi Flambe

Just going through something similar having had a front wing replaced on my Passat.

The insurance company accept the car is worth less after being repaired and will pay a sum but have left it to me to obtain proof as to the extent of the loss.

Not had too much luck doing this, my repair was good but the one dealership I approached for a p/x would have taken the car and offered X, when I told them about the wing they did not want the car. The repair is more or less unoticeable unless you look closely at the shade of the panel. Given its starting to bug me I have decided the car is going back to the bodyshop but I fear a scenario like yours arising with more and more of the car being resprayed and again like you am getting worried about what this will do value wise.

I will let you know if I get anywhere, but I have had it confirmed by the insurance co if I can quantify the loss by means of something in writing they will cough.

as always

Mark
diminution of value - flambe
Mark
We are thinking along similar lines. My fear is that If I am not happy with the car and try and P/X it at a dealership they would take the fact that there has been extensive repainting to either not be interested in taking the car or would offer a very poor allowance.

AFAIAA there are companies who will quantify this.

try www.hindleandco.co.uk/service.htm

I was hoping some backroomers may have experience of this and could offer advice

Flambe
diminution of value - Civic8
I would assume it is metalic paint. In some colours a total respray is needed.. If its done properly no one will know. Part respray is different as colour needs to be blended in to original.only a skilled sprayer can do this. If job done correctly see no reason why you would lose out/apart from normal depreciation
--
Steve
diminution of value - Happy Blue!
I don't think that there is any depreciation if the job is finally done properly. The damage has been repaired, presumably by a VW approved bodyshop; so no effect on your rust warranty, The respray will simply be a top coat so little if any evidence of it when you p/x, so little likelihood of a diminution in value.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
diminution of value - Dynamic Dave
Prior to the accident the car was original factory finish....

You'd have thought so, but a large number of cars get damaged en route from the 'factory' to the dealer. Scratches and dents on the roofs from hanging branches of trees while on the transporter. Knocks and bangs from the chains they use to anchor the cars to the transporter - etc etc. A friend of mine that worked for a bodyshop in Oxford used to get a regular throughput of brand new cars from a franchise just down the road from them. Not saying this does apply to your car, but many brand new cars on the road have already had additional paint on them before they're sold to the unsuspecting public.
diminution of value - richy
You'd have thought so, but a large number of cars get
damaged en route from the 'factory' to the dealer. Scratches

Agree with you there, years ago my dad had a brand new A reg granada estate, due to take delivery 1st august but was delayed a couple of weeks. Did'nt think anything of it at the time untill he sold it on privatly after 6 years and the new owner did an HPI check or similar and discovered that it had fallen off the delivery transporter on it's way to the dealer. Did'nt make much difference to him though, still sold it easily enough. Why don't the dealers be truthfull about it at the time and try to cover things up?
diminution of value - BazzaBear {P}
the new owner did an HPI check or
similar and discovered that it had fallen off the delivery transporter
on it's way to the dealer. Did'nt make much difference to
him though, still sold it easily enough. Why don't the dealers
be truthfull about it at the time and try to cover
things up?

Sorry about this, but someone had to say it:

Because they don't want to get a reputation for selling things which fell off the back of a lorry?

I'll get me coat.
diminution of value - Mark (RLBS)
Friday, like Christmas, just keeps on getting earlier.
diminution of value - NowWheels
Friday, like Christmas, just keeps on getting earlier.

not for long. If it advances another 4 days, it'll be back to friday again ...
diminution of value - No Do$h
Had the pleasure of watching a delivery of Ford Mavericks at a dealership in Somerset back in the early 90s. Transporter driver got distracted and started to lower the upper deck rather than the lower deck. Spotted his error when the SWB on the lower deck had shrunk 8 inches or so. He got himself sorted, emptied the lower deck and starts to bring the upper one down. Gets that wrong and LWB ends up hanging, briefly, by the straps. Ping!..... rippp ping! Crunch!

One LWB Maverick lying on its back for all the world like an upturned beetle.

Both cars repaired and sold on as new to the fleet customers that had ordered them.