Which car? - Guppy
I'm currently looking for a new (Old!) car and need the following requirements:

Diesel (I drive a fair distance to work)
Cheap to run
Cheap/easy to maintain
Easy availability of spares
Lots of space for moving junk etc
Lots of space for kids
Low mileage
5 doors..

It doesn't need to be particularly fast or trendy. My budget is max £5k ish.

I don't really want to but a Ford/Vauxhall type thing due to bad experiences..

Previously I have owned Peugeot/Citroen type things, get on well with them and am familiar with how to fix the 'oily bits' In addition we have both a Eurocarparts and GSF shops within a few miles so getting spares are a breeze.

I'd sort of decided on a Citroen Berlingo (Or Pug equivalent)-roomy, economical and cheap. However, I have just seen a Skoda Fabia Estate for around the same money and I must say it appears to fit the bill.

However, having never owned a Skoda I dunno quite what to expect..

So, what's it to be? A Citroen Berlingo or Skoda Fabia Estate? Any other suggestions that'd fit the bill?
Which car? - oldtoffee
The Fabia could hide inside the Berlingo! IMO you'd need to look at a C5 or 406 estate to rival the Berlingo carrying capacity. The Fabia is a very good small car and the estate gives some extra space but maybe not enough if as you say you need the space for kids and junk moving. Having had a Berlingo the only minus points were the handling which was OK but still a bit van like and it was quite badly affected by strong winds on motorways either of which may be an issue on your commute. We have a Picasso now and with the removable seats it gives us the space and flexibility we need without going for a big estate and drives pretty well. The previous model Scenic offers the same and there are quite a few around at your price. Would have mentioned the Zafira but as you don't fancy Vauxhall..
Which car? - Guppy
What worried me about the Xara Picasso was that someone mentioned to me that there is a problem with clutches failing prematurely?

As for the Berlingo handling like a van, what I need to ascertain is whether the extra space is worth the tradeoff?
Which car? - MichaelR
Why low mileage? You realise that all low mileage means is that you pay a premium for having a lower number on the odemeter, right?

Seems a bit of a waste of money to me, but each to their own.

Still, the more people who insist on low mileage cars, the cheaper perfectly good, perfectable reliable cars get that people avoid simply becuase it has the wrong number on the dash.

In this day and age I find it incredible that people still place mileage above age and condition when buying a car.
Which car? - Guppy
>Why low mileage..?

Have you got a high mileage one to sell, then? ;)

Given two otherwise identical cars, one with 20k on the clock and one with 70k on the clock which would you buy?

An old, low mileage car will generally last far longer than a new, high mileage one..
Which car? - MichaelR
>Why low mileage..?
Have you got a high mileage one to sell, then? ;)
Given two otherwise identical cars, one with 20k on the clock
and one with 70k on the clock which would you buy?

The one with 70k on the clock becuase it'll be anything up to a grand cheaper.

Original poster: Don't drive around in a van with windows berlingo. What you need is a nice Citroen Xsara 2.0 HDi SX Estate.
Which car? - tyro
Have you taken them for a test drive? We test-drove the Fabia estate and the Berlingo, and much preferred the latter. Personally, I think it handles fine.
Which car? - Guppy
Berlingo it is then!
Which car? - volvoman
Be very careful if what you buy is out of warranty. Friend has a 52 plate Berlingo and it has been a heap of brown sticky smelly stuff from day 1. IIRC and amongst many other things - 2 cambelt failures/new engines, drivers seat repaired 6 times (being done again soon), sliding rear door mechanism replaced 3 times, passenger window securing clips fell off, numerous brake light bulb failures (weird electrical fault?), various bits just fell off. Might of course be one of those 'lemon' type cars but have a good look before you part with your cash. He's getting rid as soon as he can and getting a Skoda diesel estate - apparently taxi drivers rate them very highly for durability and reliability.
Which car? - tunacat
BTW Guppy, if you're looking at Fabia estates, why not consider an Octavia estate? They've been around longer (more to pick from), and aren't too huge on the outside whilst offering more space inside than the Fabia.

Which car? - PhilW
Can't offer an opinion on he Skoda but I do like my HDi Berlingo and it would certainly fulfil the "loads of room for kids and for moving junk etc". It is affected by strong crosswind on the motorway but not badly I think. My "kids" (well they are in their 20s!) reckoned the back was very comfortable on a trip to France and they liked the modutop for storage and plugging personal CD players into, plus the extra ventilation fans. It is economical (50 mpg at 70 on motorway) but because of the aerodynamics (brick springs to mind!) it drops to 40 if you do 80 -85 (in France!). Boot is still very roomy and deep with all seats up.
Obviously it is no sports car when it comes to handling but for normal driving it is not bad and the HDi has pretty good everyday performance. I also like the higher driving position, and ease of getting in and out but the "sitting up" driving position will not suit all. Seems comfortable for a long drive also.
Sorry about Vman's friend - it really is a lemon - but mine is now 18months old, 15k (for me that's still brand new!!) and all I've had to do is top up the washers and tank - doesn't use any oil. Would highly recommend it - if it suits your purpose!
Which car? - Happy Blue!
I concur. Any if the van based cars (Kangoo, Doblo, Berlingo etc) are very versatile and generally more comfortable than 'normal' cars over road bumps.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Which car? - Guppy
Insurance costs...

I *really* resent paying more than I have to as I have an accident free record (Touch wood) and still the pink fluffy slippers try to screw you come insurance renewal time..