VW golf MK2 - golfer04
Carburettor problem.

I have a 1990 MK2 1.6 golf driver. I am having trouble starting the car in the morning. Although I pull manual choke out is does not accelerate the revs of the engine. I have to start the car and then use accelerator to keep the engine reving until it idles itself. I have checked the carburettor and the choke flap works but for some reasons doesn't have any impact on idle speed. Other clues are that the car seems to lack a bit of power. The car if fitted with a K&N filter and my son has drilled holes in the air cover holding the filter. On looking at top of carburettor is seems to have alot of oil sitting in it. There is oil sitting on manifold (underneath filter casing) and the K&N filter looks extremely oily. I don't know whether any of these mean anything.
VW golf MK2 - pmh
You do not specify what carb. Most original fitments around this date were with auto choke. Control of idle speed by waxstat, and vacuum choke pull down unit to prevent overchoking (once car has started).
It sounds as tho somebody has modified to manual choke, or possibly fitted a Weber.

pmh (was peter)
VW golf MK2 - golfer04
thanks for replying. Yes you were right the carb does have a manual choke. I've sorted it now thank you, it was a loose nut associated with the manual choke cable. The carb is a pierberg E2.