capri values - derek
did you see fifth gear last night

what planet was he on, saying there worth upto ten grand was it?

i had two, and they were great , no probs at all, then somebody invented the hot hatch then that was it

they died,

replaced by something that actually handled and ran on unleaded.

capri values - Truckosaurus
I expect only the very best examples get sold through Coys (or which ever auction house the guy worked for) and to most of their customers £10k is probably small change and well worth it to relive their youth. Plus there can't be many left alive, I was going to say "when did you last see one", but for me it wasn't long ago as a colleague has a very nice mk3 with a tuned Pinto under the bonnet.
capri values - Robin Reliant
I had two of these, a Mk 1 Facelift (Brilliant) and a Mk 3 (Dog).

The Mk 1 was probably the zenith of my youthful motoring pleasures, though I spent a fortune on rust removers and never passed a policeman without getting pulled for a routine check.

Sold it when I got married because I couldn't afford a car, the guy who bought it was only interested in the stereo and got himself T-Boned within a month, writing it off.

I could have cried.
capri values - Roger Jones
Mine handles fine, runs on unleaded (with lead substitute) and has never missed a beat. I'm not selling. (B-reg 2.8i)
capri values - Altea Ego
Had several of these in my youth ranging from a mk1 1300l, several facelifted mk1's of various sizes, and a couple of mk2's
(RS3100 - yummy now that was a beast) through to Mk2 facelifted (Mk3?)

The early mk1 high spec (xlr's gt's) in first class nick are really sought after and the last of the Mk3 2.8i specials are sought after. The rest are just boys toys.

Yes it was the car I always promised myself, and never disapointed in that respect, it was my boyhood dream fullfilled and yes it was a babe magnet in its time. And yes its true, you always got a tug from the boys in blue.

Classic car? you bet your boots.

The nearest thing we got to The Mustang. Not that near, but hell, it looked the part.
capri values - derek
can you imagine mustang drivers drivin round so california thinkin "mmm damn i wish i had that 1.6ls capri"
capri values - Altea Ego
Well funny enough, they sold quite a few German Built capris to california..........

capri values - BobbyG
RF

"you always got a tug from the boys in blue."

Is that not a bit over friendly? :)

capri values - Imagos
Yes they are a classic, everone's still talking and drooling over them nearly 20 years sincre production ceased and even a modern car programme offers one for a prize! So there must be something about them that still excites.

But 10 or 15 grand for a goody? nah they aint worth that not in a million years, try this site for more sensible prices www.affordableclassics.co.uk

capri values - Marc
My dad drove new Capris throughout the 70s and I love them. I had a MkIII 1.6 Calypso as my first car in the very early 90s.

I've personally seen mint low mileage, one ownwer cars sell on Ebay but usually for around 4k max so I also thought 10k was ambitious, unless it's a v rare RS3100 or something
capri values - Sofa Spud
A South African company installed 4.7 Ford V8s in Mk 1 Capris. They were called Peranas (no, not Piranhas!).

Isn't a big V8 just what the Capri's long bonnet was crying out for? Ferguson Formula 4 wheel-drive (like on the Jensen FF) was also tried on a V6 Capri but I don't know if more than one car was so adapted.

cheers, Sofa Spud
capri values - Kevin

Ford SA had a 302ci V8 option in both the Capri and Granada in the 70's and 80's.

The V8 Granada was a brilliant GT car. A long distance cruiser that was only spoilt by the weekend fuel restrictions (sanctions) at that time.

The Capri Perana was fast and fun but a bit of a handfull on the dirt roads of SWA where I lived.

Best all-rounders of the SA Fords (IMO) were the Cortina Interceptors.

Kevin...
Anybody remember the original Capri?

Sporty looking version of the Anglia, was around for a few years in the early sixties. A workmate had one and he was forever under the bonnet.
capri values - THe Growler
Capri Classic. Often turquoise and cream. Called the Consul Capri in some markets IIRC. Saw a nearly mint one in Darwin, Aus, last year.

www.cardomain.com/memberpage/430431
capri values - Altea Ego
The first capri? remember it well. One of fords Rustiest cars ever. (and its stable mate? what was that called? they had two similar cars)

My friends father was sales manager for a company making wing mirrors. They simply pulled the design for the orginal wing mirrors on the first capri, and remade them for the second. And they really did look the part - they sold shedloads.

Wing Mirrors - Now did they do the job or not. Far less blind spots than door mirrors. Pig to adjust tho.
capri values - Sofa Spud
>>Anybody remember the original Capri?

>>Sporty looking version of the Anglia, was around for a few >>years in the early sixties. A workmate had one and he was >>forever under the bonnet.

May I be so bold as to play 'Mr. Pedantic' and offer a minor correction?

The original Capri was a coupe version of the Ford Classic, not Anglia. The Classic had a similar reverse-slope rear window to the Anglia but it was a larger car with 4 headlights set in quite a dainty nose but from there back everything went wrong!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
capri values - henry k
>>Anybody remember the original Capri?
The original Capri was a coupe version of the Ford Classic,

>>
Ah! that would be
The Consul Classic (315) and it's companion the Consul Capri
See them side by side
freespace.virgin.net/r.brandon/

Or just the Capri
Just like this tinyurl.com/4gpgl
I stand corrected, Sofa Spud.

I aleays felt the Probe had the potential to be the new Capri, concept wise anyway, but it wasn't a success and Ford quietly buried it.

The stupid name didn't help either.
capri values - Sofa Spud
The Probe was, perhaps, not quite sporty looking enough, as with the Vauxhall Calibra or Peugeot 406 coupe. Also it was an American car at a time when domestic American cars had a reputation of being less dynamic than European ones.

The Holden Monaro, though Australian GM, goes against my theory as that's supposed to be a real road eater.

Cheers, Sofa Spud

capri values - Sofa Spud
I stand corrected too 'Consul Classic' was the full name, which I omitted to say.

But, remember, the Cortina and Corsair were originally marketed as the Consul Cortina and Consul Corsair too. The big mystery is simply "why?"

Cheers, Sofa spud
capri values - Imagos
Consul Cortina and Consul Corsair too. The big mystery is simply
"why?"

Don't forget the Granada consul and Zepher,Zodiac too.

The reason why is the basic models where called consul from the more expensive versions. In the Granada case the 4 cylinder models where Consuls and the V6 models where Granadas. The consul name was finally dropped in 1974.
capri values - Algernon
Original Capri? Yes, fancied one, can't really think why now, and went to see one. Firstly it had the 1300 and something three bearing motor , the final blow up from the original ohv Anglia, and boy they could; secondly it was not very old but the carpets were wet. Later they had the better fifteen hundred five bearing engine, but I doubt if the build quality was much improved.

SWMBO's 1500 Cortina was really more impressive (but of course she got new cars and I made do with second hand ones).

Amazing how these posts bring back memories, there should have been something of the sort for exams!
capri values - peranaman
Derek - the Planet was Earth - the Capri - mine. Will sell for £10,400 tomorrow. Last 3 have sold for 9445, 8750 and 7450. There are good ones out there and discerning buyers too.>> did you see fifth gear last night

what planet was he on, saying there worth upto ten grand
was it?

i had two, and they were great , no probs at all, then somebody invented the hot hatch then that was it they died, replaced by something that actually handled and ran on unleaded.
capri values - Imagos
previous post makes no sense at all.

*****Imagos, I have seen this message from you left on one or two other threads. Some people may take offence to this, which I'm sure is not intended on your part. If there is something that someone else has written that you don't understand please politely ask them to clarify that point in future.*****

Thank you

Hugo - BR Moderator
capri values - peranaman
***** Enough of that thank you. Please read the edit I have left for Steve a few posts further down *****

Hugo - BR Moderator
capri values - Imagos
Peranaman, Welcome to backroom. Please read the rules of Posting though www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=3&t=18...1

Then enjoy..
capri values - Civic8
*****DELETED******

***Steve, I know you were jumping to the defence of another BR member, but PLEASE ignore remarks made intentionally or otherwise that may wind you up***

Thank you

Hugo - BR moderator
capri values - Imagos
The Capri is still talked about some 35 years after introduction and 18 years after it's demise so it's stood the test of time to become a Modern classic. It's value can only go one way so the prices quoted previously could be achieved. (but not yet I fancy)