Simple question re diesel exhausts - Humpy
Why do diesel cars generally seem to have the exhaust pipe outlet pointing towards the road whereas petrol cars have pipes that stick straight out parallel to the tarmac??
Simple question re diesel exhausts - Schnitzel
So the soot doesn't blow into the face of following traffic?
Simple question re diesel exhausts - kithmo
Mondeos have the exhaust pipe pointing (curving) down on petrol and diesel engine models.
Simple question re diesel exhausts - David Horn
And it blows straight out the back of the baked bean can size exhaust on my diesel Xsara. Perfect for when I overtake the cyclist that has wobbled in front of me for the last 2 miles!

(Please, it's only TIC, I'm a cyclist too, but I let people pass :P)
Simple question re diesel exhausts - Pete F
Disguising the smoke is certainly a factor. It has been Ford policy to 'hide' exhaust pipes on all cars except performance versions. This is why the petrol one also has a curved down pipe, so the muffler box can be mounted higher and less visibly.
I think you will find with the advent of Stage IV diesels and particulate filters that some manufacturers will go back to straight pipes on diesels. e.g. BMW.
Simple question re diesel exhausts - DL
Keeps the rear bumper free of black 'stains' - ever seen a broken diesel tailipe that has 'contaminated' the rear bumper with acres of black smeech?

That's the real reason, the other, as has been said, is to keep any smoke at a low level.

The Xsara tailpipe is the odd one out - sticking straight out, along with Dturbo 306's
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....