citroen ax noises - cmm
I have a 1997 citroen ax which had the clutch replaced earlier this year. I could still feel resistance in the pedal, and it was getting harder to change gear so I brought it back to the mechanic, but he said it was ok.

It is again getting harder to change gear, and also creaking (like an old spring). Now, when I start off in 1st gear, there is a slight groaning noise - I have been told the clutch might be slipping - what causes this and is it expensive to fix? It is due for a service now but I would like a bit of background before I go so I know I'm not being had.

Thanks in advance!
CMM
citroen ax noises - Clanger
You might want to ask your mechanic to change the clutch cable if you are still on speaking terms. 9 months service from a new clutch shows he's missed something.

If the clutch is slipping you should be able to tell i.e. the engine revs rise but the car doesn't go any faster. Take it to another garage for a second opinion.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
citroen ax noises - SkintSteve
Not done much work on AXs but wonder if some of the problem may be clutch bearing or pressure plate. The clutch is in 3 parts, pressure plate, friction plate and bearing. Some people only replace the plates when they do a clutch change and leave the bearing. That way they seam to be doing the job cheaper. Some even just replace the friction plate. Do you know if the FULL clutch was replaced?
citroen ax noises - cmm
I did get the cable changed two months after the clutch was replaced (btw, I checked the invoice and it says that that a complete new clutch assembly was fitted). I brought it back again in August and he said there was nothing wrong with the cable but 'adjusted the clutch free travel', which made it easier to change gear for a few weeks, but it has gone back to being hard to change and creaky.

Thanks to you both for your replies, I will (hopefully) be able to get it sorted before the MOT sorts it for me!