Dodgy Number Plates? - FfwlCymraeg
Saw a number plate which made me smile today.

It should have been N19 STY.

But it was written in a 1980's digital watch font, with the 1 touching the 9, so it looked like NASTY.

Underneath the number plate, where the dealer details would usually be, was written "I'M NOT REALLY".

Made me laugh anyway. A Merc owner with a sense of humour.

I wonder about the legality of such a font, as it was misleading and very hard to read due to its font.

Still, amusing on a brrrrrrrrrr cold day!
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - ladas are cool
it is illegal, but the police seem to ignore it.
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - richard turpin
I think "PEN 15" is on an E type. Beats the hell out of "CUT 7" which was on at least 3 E types at Goodwood this year.
i once saw N4 STY (nasty), it was for sale in a shop window, the seller wanted £12,000 for it.
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - roders
i feel sorry for Val Doonegan, you cannot see him buying a personalized number plate some how!
r
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - andy bairsto
May I refer you to your mail about lying or are you in remission
you CAN buy N4STY, but obviously YOU dont believe me MR.. a bairsto (is that like ah bisto, the gravy ;-)
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - The Growler
THe UK plates look really pathetic when someone tries to make them mean something. NOt to mention paying lots of money for such a thing. In the US they have much better ones -- the real word. I still have my Broward County Florida plate with GROWLER on it from when it adorned my Mustang.
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - The Growler
My best was being overtaken many years ago by Fiona Richmond (remember her?) in a yellow E-Type license plate FU 2.
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - markymarkn
C14 UMP (chump) is available on the DVLA website at £299

I was gonna buy it for my bro... lol
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - Honest John
Script and altered-space number plates have irritated Telegraph readers for years. Now new rules contained in the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 have outlawed this for all new registration plates made on or after 1st September 2001. Regulation 15 specifies the Charles Wright typeface. Serifs may be added but the typeface must not be: italic; non-vertical; substantially different in curvature or alignment from the Charles Wright font; formed in such a way as to make characters appear to be different (no S for 5; no T for 7, etc); and must not involve multiple or broken strokes. The prescribed height is now slightly smaller than before at 79mm for "all vehicles" and 69mm for motorcycles, etc. 'Classics' (vehicles first registered before 1/1/73) are exempted and may continue to display "white, silver or light grey letters and numbers on a black surface," even if the plates are freshly made up. Many thanks to Hughes Guide to Traffic Law for the information. (To subscribe, tel: 01908 639233, or visit www.hghesguides.com)

Please note, this is copyright Martonlynn Ltd. 2001

HJ
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - Ian Aspinall
And yet the DVLA persists in selling reg numbers which only have any significance if you misrepresent them. For instance, they're about to auction A8 DUL with a reserve price of £4500 (!), but the buyer would be committing an offence if he displayed it as ABDUL.

Personally, I've little sympathy with people who waste money on personalised number plates, but isn't it illegal to sell something that can't be used for its intended purpose??
Classics and B+W plates - John Slaughter
Classic owners might note the slight change here. White on Black plates used to be legal for vehicles registered up to 31/12/73. This latest change outlaws them for 1973 vehicles.

According to Practical Classics it's the build date that's vital, not registration date, so anything built before 1/1/73 and classified as an 'historic vehicle' (a) gets free road tax, and (b) can use white on black plates.

Regards

JS
S17 COM - SIT COM. - ladas are cool
you can buy S17 COM (SIT COM), perfect for a comedian, it was advertised in the motoring section of the telegraph a while ago, but it sometime can be seen on ebay.co.uk under the section called 'cherished registrations'.
Re: Dodgy Number Plates? - Brian
Is it now illegal to make up your own from a backing and stick-on letters e.g. for caravans and trailers?
stick on number and letters. - ladas are cool
but you can still get the stick on numbers and letters in the whitley bay branch of 'charlie browns'.