Peugeot 405 won't start - stanny123
I have a Peugeot 405gl ultra 1580cc which will no longer start.There is nothing obvious so we tried a fault finder but due to the vagueries of the manual cannot find the diagnostic socket.Has anyone any ideas?
Peugeot 405 won't start - JohnPug
If you've got fuel and it won't fire, it may be the ignition amplifier unit. I had one of these go without warning. Only the breakdown man new what to look for.
The car will sometimes run for a couple of seconds but that is all.I suspect that it is a fuel problem because of this.I have a fault code gadget but I can't find the socket to plug it in.
Peugeot 405 won't start - LeePower
Depending on the age of the car, Look in the black plastic box behind the drivers side headlamp for a green 2 pin socket, thats the diagnostic socket.
Have tried the tester on that but it just lights up but will not pulse.
Peugeot 405 won't start - LeePower
What year is the car?

Try looking at the dashboard diagnostic light while your testing, I had the exact same problem with one of those testers, untill I noticed the dashboard light was flashing the codes out.

Give it another go.
Thanks for trying but that didn't work either,
Peugeot 405 won't start - Number_Cruncher
Hi Stanny,

Before becoming immersed in obtaining fault codes, I would suggest that you check out the basics.

Does the fuel pump run
Do you have a strong spark at the plugs
After cranking, are the plugs wet with fuel

Answering these questions should get you well on the way to finding the fault.

number_cruncher
Fuel pump runs,sparking well,plugs dry.
Hi Stanny,

Further Checks to make

Are you getting good fuel pressure and delivery at the engine. Delivery can be checked by taking off a fuel line, and collecting the fuel in a jug. You are looking for a good healthy flow.

Pressure can only be checked with a gauge. Although I don't know the spec for this car, I would imagine it should be more than 20psi

Are the injectors pulsing? When the fuel pump is running, there should be a positive feed to the injectors (not sure if it is 5v or 12v on this car). When cranking, the one of the wires should pulse between the supply voltage and zero. Either an oscilloscope, or a quick moving coil voltmeter should show this. Digital multimeters, unless they have a bargraph display are difficult to use on a fluctuating voltage like this.

If you aren't getting a pulse at the injector, then, it is possible that the ECU isn't supplying the pulse. We then need to go through what could stop this happening.

Hope that helps,

number_cruncher
Plenty of fuel coming out of fuel line.Don't know what pressure.
Injectors are pulsing,checked with small bulb.
Hi Stanny,

Leaving aside the fuel pressure for now, it is all looking good so far.

If you have a good spark, fuel to the injectors, and an injection pulse, I would expect an engine in otherwise good order to be capable of running.

I would now suggest checking the cam timing, and that all of the valves are opening and closing as they should. If there is a cam, or rocker cover, then removing this may allow you to see enough.

In an earlier post, you say the engine sometimes runs a little. Under what circumstances does it do this?

number_cruncher

My train of thought was going along the lines that if the engine runs a little and the valves haven't met with the pistons yet then the valve timing and the ignition timing must be ok.
As I said before, the plugs are dry but there's loads of fuel in the fuel rack, not necessarily under enough pressure.
Why isn't the fuel or enough of it getting injected?
Can you not take an injector out and crank it over to see if its working?
Engine only actually runs for a few seconds once every 15 to 20 turns of the key.It sometimes runs if you take the wires off the injectors and crank it over, then it stops so you put the wires back on and it won't run.
Hi Stanny,

It is probably quite difficult to see the injectors working. You would probably have to take the fuel rail off, with all four injectors in it.

However, if they are getting a pulse, and there is fuel there, the only thing that could stop them working is if they were all completely blocked.

As a quick and dirty test, you might try putting some fuel in a garden type hand sprayer, and squirting into the inlet while cranking - much as you would with easy start. If you can get the engine firing like this, then it does begin to point the finger at the fuelling. Take great care if you do try this, and don't put too much fuel in - be ready with a CO2 extinguisher in case it backfires.

number_cruncher

Sorry, I forgot its 1994 on a "L"plate
Peugeot 405 won't start - Civic8
As a matter of interest..Have you checked out all pipes connected to inlet manifold. Sounds more like vaccum pipe leak. looking at pipes from the outside wont mean a pipe hasnt split inside. I would take all pipes off and make sure they are all OK. If one has a slight crack replace...Just a thought and may be wrong. though I doubt all injectors will be blocked?

--
Was mech1
Hi Steve,

I agree, it is unlikely that all the injectors are blocked, but it isn't impossible, and we can't see the car from here!

I think your suggestion to check for vacuum leaks is a good one.

number_cruncher