corsa timing belt change. - big davey
thought I would share my experience I\'ve just had, changing a corsa 1200cc r reg 8 valve timing belt. A simple job, a job Ive done hundreds of times before. When I got the job stripped found the water pump weeping, so got a pump and a tensioner, the pump was a Veco pump and the belt a deyco along with a Quinton Hazel tensioner. Fitted all parts but when I came to tension the belt via the eccentric pump, the pump came to its max stop without even moving the tensioner pointer. So ordered a 2nd pump and belt just to find it the same. Informed supplier, who told me its the most common belt and pump and have sold loads,I ordered a Quinton pump which was no better, I spoke to Quinton technical who confirmed all the parts were right and could not come up with a answer. He said the only similar thing was an Astra which had a different crank gear.I then ordered vauxhall parts thinking this would sort it, no chance same problem. I refitted all the bits i had originally taken off i.e. the leaking pump, old belt and tensioner, same problem unbeliveable. Spoke to vauxhall about problem who confirmed there was only one pump and belt etc. By this time I was really annoyed, so I opened the timing belt book and knew the Corsa had 111 teeth on belt, I looked down the list to find a belt with 110 teeth and same pitch and profile and came up with a belt for a Montego and maestro petrol. So I ordered this one and hey presto first time pointers started to move up when pump turned then backed off till pointers aligned. Job done, glad these jobs are few and far between.
Big Davey
corsa timing belt change. - Caveman
Surely if only 110 teeth instead of 111, won't the cam timing drift out after a few miles of the engine? The blet is marginally shorter, and has one less tooth, so something will be out of line "maybe"?

Not doubting your mechanical skills, but If you fitted the orignal bits back on and still the belt was loose, then something couldn't have gone back togerther properly as it was previously ok with those bits.
corsa timing belt change. - Number_Cruncher
The relationship between cam angle and crank angle is only dependent upon the number of teeth on the gears on the shafts. The timing will not drift.

I have not had trouble myself with tensioners on these engines, but I know of some colleauges where I used to work who have struggled. IIRC, they said that it is possible to fit, or tension the tensioner in either of two directions. One works OK, and the other doesn't. It is possible that this has happened here - although there may be something else...

number_cruncher