A/T tyres - Toyota Rav4 - yokel
I have also posted this in the general q/a forum as not sure which one would get me an answer.

Morning,

I have a RAV 4 which surprise surprise does leave the tarmac for use on country tracks near home.

The current tyres are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 235/60/R16 100H, these do not grip well on these tracks (gravel, grass, wet etc)and slide even under braking at low speed (13k miles on the clock and plenty of tread left)

I cannot find any A/T tyres in 235/60 so is it possible to fit 235/70/R 16 with a different speed rating?

Would I need new rims, would it affect the performance on road i.e. make the car unstable, would it cause any other problems?

Any assistance or tyre recommendations appreciated?

Thanks,

Gary (e-mail if you like gary111@btinternet.com or gary.roberts@galileo.com)

A/T tyres - Dynamic Dave
I have also posted this in the general q/a forum ....

Which can lead to repetition of answers. I've write locked the other posting and have directed anyone that can help you to here.

DD.
A/T tyres - Toyota Rav4 - AngryJonny
You wouldn't need new rims as long as the width (235) and wheel diameter (16) are the same. However, there are certain disadvantages:

(1) Your whole wheel will be bigger if you use a 70 profile instead of a 60. The radius will increase by about an inch (10 percent of 235mm) so the distance around the wheel will be 6 or 7 inches further. So for every turn of your wheel you go an extra 6 or 7 inches, throwing your speedo out.

(2) You may find that your now larger wheel rubs on bodywork or wheel arches.

(3) Using a lower speed rating is OK I guess, IF you're not going to go over whatever the tyre-limit is. But be careful with the pressures (remember the Ford Explorer fiasco). Not sure what happens if you sell the car to someone and a tyre blows - you could be in some trouble. I don't think it's a gamble I would take.
A/T tyres - Toyota Rav4 - Happy Blue!
Try www.blackcircles.co.uk

They are very helpful.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
A/T tyres - Toyota Rav4 - Truckosaurus
(3) Using a lower speed rating is OK I guess

I believe if you go under the manufacturer's recommended tyre rating you'll get into trouble with the law and your insurers. Theorically none of us go over 70mph so why would they spec Z-rated tyres that work at 150mph. :-)