Blinded by the light! - teabelly
While driving home this evening the sun was right in my face and low in the sky. Even with sunglasses and the sun shade folded down it was very difficult to make out where the road was going or where other vehicles were at times. I had my lights on dim/dip so that others could probably see me. All cars with lights on were easy to find but there were some that didn't have lights on that were almost invisible.

Do polarising sunglasses prevent this problem? Or are there secrets out their to navigating with the sun in your face? I tried sunglasses on and off and sunshade up and down in all combinations. Would one of those sad 'wayne and sharon' style sun strips help in this case? To make things worse the dashboard in this car reflects in the windscreen which I find really annoying.

Anyone do some sort of head up display that has radar and edge detection overlay so I can see what is going on out there?! Anyone make windscreens with a graduated tint so that it is stronger at the top than further down the screen?
teabelly
Blinded by the light! - hillman
How often do you clean the inside of your windscreen? I find that effect if there is a film on the screen that I wouldn't see in normal conditions. I always wear polaroid glasses in bright conditions, sunny or not.
I've not long since cleaned the screen. Used one of those turtle wax screen wipes. I might try and get some IPA in a spray and see if using that is any better at getting the grime off. The screen in my old car was much more upright and I found it easier to see in the same conditions.
teabelly
Blinded by the light! - Sofa Spud
Today's steeply raked screens are fine except for the reflections of the dash that you mention. I get that in both our VWs, a 94 Passat and 94 Golf. If top of the dash were covered in a black felty material, then it wouldn't reflect, it would just collect dust'

cheers, SS
Blinded by the light! - PhilW
I aslo find polaroids good for cutting dazzle - not all but a good amount. Even worse than the situation you describe is driving to work in the winter with a low sun and wet road - there is a stretch where I find it almost impossible to see anything because of sun and reflection from road!
Blinded by the light! - madux
IPA?
You want to spray beer on you windscreen?
Iso Propyl Alchohol. It's more like vodka than beer :-)

My next slightly daft idea is to apply shoe polish in the right shade to the dash but not buff it up so the dashboard should have more of a matt finish to see whether that makes it less noticeable.

teabelly
Blinded by the light! - Civic8
>>Iso Propyl Alchohol.Not certain you got that right?

It. when used dries very quickly. it will clear screen of any contaminates that exist. Doubt it helps in direct sunlight though.Have they improved formulae?
--
Was mech1
Blinded by the light! - kithmo
Iso Propyl Alchohol. It's more like vodka than beer :-)
My next slightly daft idea is to apply shoe polish in
the right shade to the dash but not buff it up
so the dashboard should have more of a matt finish to
see whether that makes it less noticeable.
teabelly

Or do what we used to do in the 70's, along with a furry dice, we used to stick black fur to the dash. ;-)
Blinded by the light! - Civic8
Your point about sun in direct vision. their is no way that I`m aware of. blocking direct sun. Slowing down is the answer. Forget the rest. if you cannot see where you are going slow down.polarising sunglasses only prevent reflections in certain uv circumstances not all.Please correct if wrong?
--
Was mech1
Blinded by the light! - hillman
The biggest fright that I ever had was when GPO vans were bright yellow. I was driving a company pool car which I had picked up the previous evening, too late to clean it. Cleaning was left to the drivers, most didn't bother, it was below their dignity, and most were heavy smokers. The inside of the screen was full of tobacco tar, and others had wiped their hands over it when it misted up.
I rounded a corner in Chinley to face direct east and the rising winter sun on the horizon. I nearly messed myself when I passed a big GPO van parked almost on the corner, which I only saw when I was alongside it. I was quite blinded, couldn't see a thing, just sunburst effect from the mess on the screen. Because it was early morning at weekend, with not many shops open, it was almost Nottingham before I was able to buy a can of Windowlene and a duster. It was a very filthy duster by the time
I finished.
Blinded by the light! - Vin {P}
I suggest you pop along to a local department store and buy a square yard of black felt. Mine sits in the door of the car and on days when low sunlight is likely to be a problem, I just throw it over the dash. Makes an emormous difference when you have no reflections from the dash to distract you.

V
Blinded by the light! - No Do$h
Easy solution; buy a 156. The "poor quality plastics" so often lambasted on this site offer no noticable reflections on the screen.

I drive East along the A31/M27 each weekday morning and for 6 months of the year that stretch of my journey will see dawn breaking on the horizon. On my return I get to see the sun setting over the New Forest.

Previous cars have driven me mad with reflections from the dash but I've never had a problem with this one.
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - teabelly
I popped along to my local internet site and bought a metre of black felt and a metre of velveteen (cheap velvet substitute) to try. The black velveteen is less reflective as even black felt has some sheen to it. The velveteen was cheaper at under £5 a metre too. Hey presto, reflections are gone! The reflections are a nuisance all the time so I am going to have to leave mine in place. I hope it doesn't get too dusty as I have no idea of the washing instructions!

Until this car I have never had a problem with dashboard reflections. It is amazing how annoying they are!
teabelly
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - L'escargot
The easiest solution is not to clean the top of the dash! The accumulation of dust will soon stop all reflections ~ works a treat for me!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - Nsar
Apologies for slight thread hi-jack and for being a broken record on this subject, but we're approaching the time of year when thousands of cars with frozen washer nozzles driving with road salt smeared across the screen drive into low morning sunlight.
I am amazed that heated nozzles aren't a standard safety feature on every car. Volkswagen seem to be able to do it on just about every model, why not others?
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - AR-CoolC
My Focus has heated washer jets...BUT, the hose has very cleverly be positioned at the hinge of the bonnet, so it freezes up. Nice clear jet with no washer fluid getting to them.

Great bit of design there.
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - Cliff Pope
I think the circumstances teabelly is describing are when the sun is so low down that one is blinded by direct light. This has nothing to do with reflections.
I have been in situations where there was nothing to do except stop, because I was literally driving blind. Putting one's head out of the window can help a bit. I once had to be beckoned forward a cautious foot at a time by a passenger. Fortunately the conditions do not persist for long, because the road gradient usually changes. Also the sun moves at a surprisingly fast rate, and only blinds when at one particular angle.
It was a combination of the three really. The angle of the screen seems to make it more difficult to see in oncoming sunshine. The dashboard reflections made it impossible to see the lower third of the screen under these conditions. I have driven in the same conditions in the other car and had nowhere near the visibility problems.
teabelly
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - L'escargot
My Focus has heated washer jets...BUT, the hose has very cleverly
be positioned at the hinge of the bonnet, so it freezes
up. Nice clear jet with no washer fluid getting to them.
Great bit of design there.

I've had my Focus for 5 1/2 years without the washer jets freezing. Admittedly it is always garaged at night.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - BobbyG
I was driving home on M8 tonight and one minute the traffic was travelling at 50-60 mph, next minute it had grounded to a halt. The low sun was the reason, literally driving along in first gear assuming that the car in front is still moving unless its brake lights come on! Very scary
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - No Do$h
I got caught out passing through Kidderminster on Monday morning at about 8:00am. Came to a Roundabout and looked right, only to get a goggle full of the rising sun after driving in torrential rain and near darkness for 3 hours.

Couldn't see a thing that was already on the roundabout.

Window down, sunglasses on and a hand to my forehead (hornpipe anyone?) and I managed to negotiate the roundabout and continue my "commute". Scary.
Kidderminster is hideous to negotiate at the best of times. I don't like the one way system as the sign post to some places direct you to be in the wrong lane for the next roundabout. I ended up in the wrong lane twice this last bank holiday. It wouldn't have been a problem but traffic was solid from the roundabout after Hagley on the A449 all the way through kidderminster, out the other side and most of the way to the safari park!
teabelly
I got caught the same way. Two roundabouts and a threat of actual bodily harm against the satnav later.....
The huge junction in the middle with all the traffic lights is also one of Satan's own creations.

Have you ever driven around the one way system and traffic light filled roundabouts in Stafford? Another sadistic highway planner's dream. I wish they wouldn't write directions on the road, in the wet you can't see them in and when it is busy when you really need them all these metal boxes are in the way....

Perhaps we ought to start a 'most confusing road design' thread!
teabelly
Not witnessed the pleasure of Stafford, but give me a couple of weeks and I'll see what I can do.

Keep your eys open for a lot of tyre smoke and a sideways Alfa...
Dashboard reflections solved :-) - DougB
Hi

Polarising sunglasses won't be much help with low direct sun which
I think is one of the most dangerous driving conditions.

They are however a good driving accessory as they cut out a lot of reflected light. This helps you to see things more clearly and is less tiring on the eyes. The polarising effect is not dependent on the density of the lenses so they can be worn in most situations.

If you want to see the 'polarising effect' hold the glasses in front of you and rotate through 90 degrees. Not while driving!

Regards DougB.