Noisy Saab Diesel - Roly93
Dear All,

I have a year old SaaB 2.2 diesel, which has the 2.2 GM Ecotec unit installed.

This is quite a good engine overall but suffers from being rather noisy at tickover and low speeds even when fully warm.

My question, to any diesel experts out there is as follows :-

Is it possible on this type of engine ie - direct injection, to adjust the injection timing in order to \'soften\' the diesel clatter and at initial pull-away, or is this not a feasible scenario. I am taking the car for its first service soon and was wondering if this is a thing I should ask them to look at ?
Noisy Saab Diesel - robert
Hi,

I have one - its a March 2002 9 3 TiD SE Hatch with 61k on the clock.

Its SIGNIFICANTLY noisier than our Focus diesel. However it goes like the clappers and gives fantastic fuel economy.

I guess thats just the way it is ..

Regards
Noisy Saab Diesel - Number_Cruncher
Hi,

As a starter for ten, I would suggest that you ask to see if there have been any software updates (if applicable for this model). If, so, then see if any of them specifically address this issue.

number_cruncher
Noisy Saab Diesel - 9000
Roly,

How many miles have you done in it? I think these engines are known to be a bit noisy for the first 20k or so. Take a look at www.saabscene.com if you haven\'t already.
Noisy Saab Diesel - Roly93
Dear All,

I have asked about the software updates and the SaaB dealer was predictably cagey about this subject !

In terms of mileage, I have done just under 17,000, so I hope you are right that the engine will mellow after 20K, although this is a long time to wait for an engine to bed in.