pug 306 brake lights - terminally bewildered
Both brakes lights on my 97 306 meridian have gone - one had blown anyway, the other one looked ok, but had been working intermitently for a while and has now stopped altogether. I've changed both bulbs and the fuse, but still no joy.

Any ideas as to fault and cost of repair?
pug 306 brake lights - Civic8
I dont know the car. but would think the switch has gone. usually located above brake pedal. dont know the price but wouldnt think expensive.?
--
Was mech1
PUG 306 brake switch - terminally bewildered
I trying to replace a brake switch but can't get to it without removing the entire fascia. Is there a quicker, less painful way of doing this?
PUG 306 brake switch - Andrew-T
Haynes says "remove the complete facia as described in Chapter 11". Any alternative probably needs double-jointed hands and spanners. I suppose you might do it with stubby screwdrivers and other tiny tools - worth a try. The actual replacement is child's play. Perhaps the wiring is just disconnected or loose?
PUG 306 brake switch - was8v
My 306 had a dodgy earth in the rear light clusters causing the brake lights to work intermittently, try re-making the connections in the rear light clusters.
PUG 306 brake switch - PhilW
Definitely check the earth first before removing fascia! Can't believe you need to remove fascia to check switch - you don't need to do that on a Citroen - and they try to make life as difficult as possible!! Isn't the switch just behind the pedal?
Thanks to everyone for the advice. The long and the short of it all is that my usual independent garage admitted defeat on how to check the brake switch it and referred me to my local peugeot dealer. As it turned out, it was corrosion in the brake light cluster, which has now been remedied, so everything is fine.

It does beg the question, though, had it been the switch, would there have been any way to get at it without removing the fascia? I asked the peugoet mechanic, who told me how to test the circuit, but wouldn't tell me how to get at the switch to replace it, so the matter remains a mystery.
PUG 306 brake switch - DL
I'll make some enquiries as to the switch question.

Rear lamp circuit board faults on 306's (especially on the nearside) are increasingly common.

Had a 2001 206 with a rusty circuit board yesterday......
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
PUG 306 brake switch - Andrew-T
DL - presumably this corrosion problem is caused by water ingress round the rubber seal? It's 2 minutes' work to examine the 'inside' of the rear cluster, remove it, clean the seal, and refit.
Thanks - both me and my garage would love to know.....