MK2 golf 1.3 cambelt tensioner - Sarb11
My tensioner has gone as there is a squealing sound after a few miles. Definitley not the fanbelt as have removed this and checked that the sound is still present.

Does the cambelt need to be removed to change the tensioner? How much would it cost to get fixed? Whats the danger of not geting it done?

Would it be simple to fix myself? I have basic to intermediate mechanical skills!

thanks
MK2 golf 1.3 cambelt tensioner - Passat TDI Man
Hi,

I had a very similar problem but it was not the cambelt tensioner but the waterpump squealing after a few miles are you sure it is the tensioner? if it is a would say get it changed as soon as poss I had 1 fail on my Sierra TD and it wrecked the top end and cost £600.00!
MK2 golf 1.3 cambelt tensioner - Sarb11
Hello

thanks for the advice. not sure whether it is the tensioner (now you mention it) could be water pump as you say. It all began when I had the water pump & cambelt changed a few months ago. I initially thought it was the fan belt but can rule this out as explained above. Any ideas how to find the exact cause? Also as the water pump was changed would it be a case of tightening something or what??????
MK2 golf 1.3 cambelt tensioner - Civic8
As you have had a new cambelt/wp. it is possible cambelt is over tight. Apart from that tensioner. though it should have been changed at same time. saves another stripdown.
--
Was mech1
MK2 golf 1.3 cambelt tensioner - steveo30
is your engine the polo type? cus the belt on those is tensioned by the pump
if the belt is over tightened it will ruin the pump bearings quickly
MK2 golf 1.3 cambelt tensioner - sean
OK then,

The tensioner is u/s.

A £25 item from Stan. GSF etc.

Replace it, please.

The cambelt does not have to be changed, subject to mileage.

A £9 item from Stan.

The belt has been running over a u/s tensioner for xx miles.

If the engine goes, it'll cost more than your car is worth to repair.

What was the question, again, please?
MK2 golf 1.3 cambelt tensioner - DL
Agreed Sean - I've changed two screechy tensioners on PB engined 8v Golf GTis - always change the belt - it's easy anyway!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....