306 HDi timing belt - FP
Originally I posted this as a reply to another thread about HDi belts and pulleys, but as it doesn't seem to have been picked up, I'm repeating the main point here.

What is the current received wisdom about the intervals between timing belt changes on the 306 HDi?

The (French) manual I have says 160 000 kilometres (= 100,000 miles) for normal use, or 120 000 km (= 75,000 miles) for heavy use - short journeys, urban use etc.) The garage I bought my car from had serviced the car, but as it had done 34,000 miles did not change the belt. They quoted me 90,000 miles. My other half's 306 HDi was bought from a different dealer with around 40,000 on the clock and they had changed the belt.

Confusing, or what?
306 HDi timing belt - Andrew-T
I took my 99T 306 to my local indie in June, inviting him to change the belt at 5 years (and 38K). His response was that he would gladly do it, but it would be unnecessary as Peugeot recommended by mileage only, 72 or 90K, forget which.
306 HDi timing belt - Railroad.
Take no notice of this . Change the belt religiously every couple of years, or more frequently if you do really serious mileage.

Better to be safe than sorry, and the manufacturer or dealer won\'t want to know if it breaks, no matter how many or few miles you\'ve done.
306 HDi timing belt - Civic8
>>Take no notice of this deleted

would suggest a change of tone.you may be right but dont think you need to put it that way?
--
Was mech1
306 HDi timing belt - Andrew-T
Sorry, Railroad, I would prefer to trust my indie rather than overdo the belt-and-braces as you suggest. After all, he routinely services Porsches etc, and supported the Lexus touring-car race team a year or two back.
306 HDi timing belt - David Horn
I have an XUD 1.9TD in mine, currently at 72K. Garage said it didn't need changing until 80k, according to the manual, and recommended against it.

According to them, the 3rd party warranty will cover any damage if the belt breaks before 80k. I'm not too bothered, as I'll only be doing a couple of thou now I'm at Uni and the car is in my grandma's garage 40 miles away. :P
306 HDi timing belt - DL
Being a Peugeot Techie, I would advise an HDi RHX/RHY belt change at 72,000 miles (80k latest if you stick to 10k intervals)

The belt isn't *that* difficult to change - around £180 sees the job done, with genuine parts.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
306 HDi timing belt - Mike M
DL:
Does that £180 include belt and tensioner? Also, what is your advice on changing the pulley - should it be changed at the same time as the belt?
Thanks

Mike
306 HDi timing belt - DL
£180 gets you a new genuine belt, fitted but no tensioners or rollers.

They don't give trouble on HDi engines, but if you wanted those replaced, you can add another £50 or so.

Pulley change? Well if it were mine, I would wait until it gets noisy......ultimately it's up to you.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....