brake noise - gazmundo
Hi all,
My '96 Primera 1.6GX has started making an annoying 'droning' noise from the front brakes. I have taken the car to a local garage where they replaced the front pads but this has just made the problem worse. Car went back the next day for investigation where they managed to re-create noise but could find no reason for it - so I guess I'm left to figure it out for myself.
The best way to describe the noise is like rubbing a wet finger round the top of a wine glass (only in a much lower pitch). The problem only seems to appear when the brakes are warm/hot and the steering is in a straight line or turning to the right. Turning left or placing your foot on the brake pedal, even just lightly, stops the noise.
Before the pads were changed I cleaned the brake disks with brake cleaning solvent, this appeared to reduce the noise for a while. One other, possibly coincidental, point is that I only started noticing this problem after the N/S track rod end and some of the rear brake pipes were replaced for its MOT.

Anyone got any ideas on what could be wrong??

brought into line with drop down doodas

Edited by Pugugly on 13/09/2008 at 22:34

Primera brake noise - NARU
It could be just the start of a wheelbearing going? I'd check the OSF first (given that it goes when turning left).
Primera brake noise - Carse
Gazmundo,

I have the same issue with my Ford Focus, apparently after its 3 years service I was told by the dealer that the disks were close to the lower limit but the pads still had 50% remaining from new.

After listing this anomaly to the Back Room it seems that the disks rust and then under breaking the pads wear the steel disks. I have come to the conclusion that this rusting and then breaking causes the noise as the friction between the disks and the pads must be significantly increased.

Carse
Primera brake noise - gazmundo
Thanks for the replies guys, just a quick update for anyone who might be interested......
I took the front wheels off at the weekend to see if I could find any reason for this noise but could see nothing obvious. Just for the sake of it I decided to try cleaning the lip of rust from round the edges of the brake disks and then soaked the disks, pads and anything else that got in the way with brake cleaning solvent. To my surprise the noise has gone (touch wood), at least for just now. The disks didn't appear to be that badly worn and there were no major grooves in them but if the noise comes back I might see if I can scrape enough pennies together to replace them (the cars coming up to 70K miles so might not be that bad an idea anyway!!)

Cheers
Gazmundo
Primera brake noise - njwatts
Thanks for the replies guys just a quick update for anyone who might be interested......

snipquote!
Did you do this without dismantling any of the brake assemblies?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/09/2008 at 14:40

Primera brake noise - njwatts
Any more diagnosis? (i have a similar problem)