Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - andymac62a
horrible = expensive sounds from engine of M-reg Boxer 1.9 diesel. Diagnosis not yet confirmed, but assuming that's so, will only another Boxer engine fit, or will other Peugeot 1.9 diesels fit. Are repairs/rebuild likely to be more economical??
Many tks for any help.
Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - dieselhead
as far as i know the boxer engine is direct injection so i assume the direct injection car engines won't fit.
I would have the crank ground if it's worn and the bores honed, new shells rings etc. rather than bother with second hand engines.
If a garage is doing the job that has to charge £35 or so an hour, they might advise to fit a secondhand engine.
Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - LeePower
The boxer came with a few different engines in its lifetime.

Some where turbo diesels & some where the HDI.

The 1.9 is a turbo diesel & was also fitted to the a lot of other Peugeots & Citroens too.
Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - Mr Moo
On an 'M' plate I'm almost certain this will be the indirect injection XUD unit as used in 306s, 405s, ZXs, Xantias etc and I would have though that a unit from one of these should fit. If it is the TD version, I think the intercooler may be in a different place and therefore the pipework for this will be different.

Hope this helps.
tks 4 yr help everyone - will be getting the engine investigated next week + see where we go from there.
mechanic has diagnosed big-end trouble - any recommended places in London/Essex areas to obtain a second-hand replacement engine (1996/M reg Peugeot Boxer 270S diesel SWB)?? Tks once again.
Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - jah
On a slightly unrelated note, I wonder if anyone else has this issue.

The temperature guage on my Boxer 1.9 does not remain at a steady 50% when driving normally. On an incline the needle creeps up. In hot weather on the motorway the speed has to be reduced to prevent the needle climbing into the red.
It's been in for repair, but the service dept. of my peugeot dealer reckons there is no visible problem. The fans come on at the right time according to them. The thermostat works fine. They pressure tested. I don't know if they flow tested.
There does now seem to be coolant loss and i don't think there was before the peogeot dealer serviced it and i don't know if this is a cause or effect of the apparent overheating.
am finding a Boxer replacement engine (code XUD9AU) difficult to find. Cannot find decode for the engine code either. So assuming XUD9 is the basic engine description, will eg a XUD9B engine from a slightly newer Pug306 fit. Anyone know where I can find a list of these differences in codes? Tks once again.
sorry, should have mentioned it is a non-turbo diesel.
Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - RichardW
Andy,

The XUD series engine all use the same blocks and heads, so are basically interchangeable as units (many parts are different though!). The 306 engine should fit no probs, but you might have to fiddle with things like wiring, hoses etc to marry it up to the van. You might find the 306 engine is tuned slightly differently (bit more BHP / less torque) but I can't be sure. Anyway - it will be better than the one that's in there :-)) Just check that the engine did not come from a car with a code pad immobiliser - if it did you'll need to take the injection pump off, and remove the coded stop solenoid, and fit a normal one.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
that helps a great deal. Many tks Richard.
Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - DL
Boxer? Isn't it a Fiat sourced engine?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - Sprice
Do these Boxer engines have any punch?
Peugeot Boxer big end trouble - Dynamic Dave
I'll let that comment stay, as it's Friday.