Citroen ZX 1.9TD Coolant leak (inside!) - PaulC2004
Hi all,
New member, think I'm glad I found this forum.
I have just acquired a ZX 1.9td and the first thing I noticed (apart from an oil leak) is that it drank more water than I think I ever could.

After having the car on a jack and checking the underneath I finally got looking inside the car. The leak apears to be coming from near the blower unit (where it connects to the heater unit) on the passenger side. I am not particularly mechanically minded so was just interested in the worse case - take it into a garage cost. The reason I ask is that it looks like it might be time consuming to fix. The coolant leaks when the engine is running or not but I suspect that if I realeased the pressure from the rad it wouldn't continue?

Any thoughts on this would be gratefully appreciated, along with any rough costs.

Thanks in advance
Paul
Citroen ZX 1.9TD Coolant leak (inside!) - RichardW
Paul,

Almost certain your heater matrix is leaking. This is a well known weak spot on these and 306\'s, and other contemporary Cits and Pugs. The good news is that a new matrix is only about £40. The bad news is that the dash board has to come out to change it - which is probably most of a day\'s labour. My Xantia developed a leak early this year, so I put some Forte Radiator Stop Leak in, which has stopped it leaking for the last 10,000 miles. This might work, but if the leak is bad you probably can\'t save it.

Do a Forum Search on here, and you will find a thread by Solara about changing the matrix in his 306, with photos and tips.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Citroen ZX 1.9TD Coolant leak (inside!) - Dynamic Dave
Do a Forum Search on here, and you will find a
thread by Solara ....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20998&...e

Note, you'll need to be a Yahoo member to see the pics, although the above link does talk you through the proceedure.

Chaps, quick responses much appreciated, I thought it might be the matrox, not good news. Do you think its really worth running a prosuct like rad weld through it ? Will certainly try it, only need the car to run for another 6 months.. Also, there is still that oil leak, apart from the head gasket (which I dont think it is) are there other common ones ? I have oil on the top of where the sump bolts on and also running down the back of the block.

Knowing my luck its a HGF as well as the heater matrix !!!
PPS - When i type quick I type crud, I'll type slower next time !!
Citroen ZX 1.9TD Coolant leak (inside!) - uk2usa
I concur with RichardW, fling some RadWeld into it. Had a similar problem on my Hyundai accent and this worked great. With cars of this age and value, it is not worth replacing the heater matrix.
Citroen ZX 1.9TD Coolant leak (inside!) - IanT
"...I have oil on the top of where the sump bolts on and also running down the back of the block..."

I've had two significant drips on my 306 (same engine).

One was directly from the sump joint (this is factory fitted with sealant but can be replaced by a gasket). The sump can be removed with the engine in place, though the alternator and power steering mounting brackets get in the way and must be removed.

The other was the right hand camshaft oil seal. This requires quite a bit of work since the cambelt has to be loosened before you can get to the seal.

The camshaft oil seals also leaked on my 309. This was non-turbo, but similar enough to suggest a weakness in the XUD design.

But it could be the rocker cover gasket, two seals at the left end of the camshaft, the crankshaft oil seals (either end), oil feed pipes for the turbocharger. I'm sure there must be plenty of other possibilities. Take your pick.

Ian
Citroen ZX 1.9TD Coolant leak (inside!) - madf
Bypass the matrix if you only need the car for 6 months and you can stand having no heater..

madf

Could do but I dont think I would last the winter. a couple of days ago I poured the rad weld (half a bottle) this has not cured the problem but possible made it slightly better. Should I just pour the rest in and go for broke ?

Also, if its a new heater matrix, I've got the haynes manual and might give it a go, I've got patience but little knowledge.. should I give it a go ?

Citroen ZX 1.9TD Coolant leak (inside!) - spikeyhead {p}
Pour in the rest of the rad weld, you've already paid for it so you've little to loose, it will either cure it or you'll be changing the heater matrix.

If you're mot familiar with taking dashboards out, then its likely that once its all back together you'll have some rattles and squeaks from it, but as you only need the car for another six mionths then that will be a lot easier to live with than no heater. Just turn the radio up.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Citroen ZX 1.9TD Coolant leak (inside!) - Mondaywoe
Try finding a ZX Forum (I think Andyspares have one or possibly there is a Yahoo group - do a search) You are almost certain to find a keen owner who has had the dash out - they'll help out.

If you do decide to go for it, I'd suggest you get a camera (digital if possible) and take pictures at every stage of dismantling. Also label absolutely everything as you take it off - otherwise you'll have cables all over the shop!

The steering wheel will probably have to come off (see Haynes)I don't think the ZX ever had airbags (??) but if so, this could be a serious obstacle - not advised without expert help!

Above all, be methodical, take your time and avoid pulling anything away unless it's completely disconnected. Get plenty of light on the subject.

The battery will have to be disconnected first - so radio will lose its code. If you don't have it, you'll need to get it from a Citroen dealer.

Good luck!

Graeme