buying a warranty for s/h high-miler - silverfox
After much ?uming and ahing? I?m getting close to a final decision on a new (second hand) car ? thanks to some help from this forum! The current favourite is a bit of a high miler, 150K on a W plate although I?m assured that this is mainly motorway miles. It has a full service history and is an ex-lease car (so I assume would have had all essential repairs ? suspension etc, made at the appropriate time).
In addition to checking the service history and asking question of the vendor to allay any fears I have about any major work that may be forthcoming, I?ve been thinking about buying a warranty. Has anyone any advice on:
- whether they are worth the money (circa £250 pa)?
- are they more essential for higher mileage cars?
- the best places to start looking
- who to avoid?

Many thanks once more for any help/advice
buying a warranty for s/h high-miler - Galaxy
On a car that's done 150K I very much doubt that anyone will be willing to give you a warranty at all!

I did have a quick look at "Warranty Direct" who have a link on the left-hand column on this website, and their upper limit is 100K. I suspect that most others will be the same or less.
buying a warranty for s/h high-miler - silverfox
Thanks for the advice. I've decided to wait a while and see if something with a mileage below 100K comes up rather than go for the higher one. The question still remains - what is the general experience of extended warranties - who's good/bad, are they worth taking out?

Many thanks
buying a warranty for s/h high-miler - stuartjw
You can get warranties on any age car with any mileage - If you look on the autotrader website there is one which does it I think. If not I have definitely looked at a company that would do it today as I have been considering getting a warranty.