Ford Focus mystery - Carse
My 2001 2.0L Ford Focus has just been to the local Ford dealer for its 3 year service. The car has done 30,000 miles compared to 37,500 which is the expected mileage for this service. Every thing went fine until the service receptionist stated that the mechanic noticed the brakes were slightly louder under braking than expected so they very courteously performed a free brake analysis.

Any way to make a long story longer the receptionist stated everything seemed OK, the pads had approx 50% wear left but the front disks were 1 - 1.5mm above the recommended thickness and she suggested at the next service these would need changing. I ran my fingers up both disks and there is definitely a pronounced lip at the edges.

Here is my problem, I have owned the vehicle from new (4 delivery miles on the clock) and have NEVER had the pads changed. Therefore the only conclusion I can draw is the pads are more durable than the disks HOW ON EARTH CAN THIS BE.

Carse
Ford Focus mystery - Sprice
Modern non asbestos pads could cause this as they are hard wearing.
So modern non asbestos pads are more resistant to wear than Steel!!!

I am flabbergasted and very dissapointed in the fact that at every 30,000 miles the whole front braking system (pads and disks)will need replacing.

Is this specific to Ford ???

Carse
Ford Focus mystery - Dynamic Dave
Is this specific to Ford ???

No. Pads these days are as hard, if not harder than the discs themselves. On my previous Vectra with 40,000 miles clocked up, the pads were only half worn, but the discs would have needed replacing before the remaining half of the pads had worn out.

Ford Focus mystery - Kuang
HOW ON EARTH CAN THIS BE.

What can the dealer charge you more in parts and labour for replacing - pads or disks?...

{/cynical so-and-so}
Kuang,

It doesn't matter as they will not changed disks without changing the pads as well.

Carse
Ford Focus mystery - John F
Disc service:

Jack up, remove wheel, apply handbrake firmly and chock wheels.
Start engine, engage 1st gear, let in clutch gently.
Apply black 'n decker carborundum wheel to rotating disc lip till smooth. Use small hammer and old screw driver to clean rust from ventilation holes.

With the above tecnique my old Passat's discs lasted over 200,000 miles before they were thin enough to need changing - pad change every 40-50,000 or so.

'Oh, it won't last till the next service, squire' is one of the oldest tricks in the book.

[I await slap on wrist from outraged mechanics]

Ford Focus mystery - jones_the_guard
"Jack up, remove wheel, apply handbrake firmly and chock wheels.
Start engine, engage 1st gear, let in clutch gently.
Apply black 'n decker carborundum wheel to rotating disc lip till smooth. Use small hammer and old screw driver to clean rust from ventilation holes."

Good tip, i've dione this many times and it works a treat.
Its also possible with rear discs, if fitted, if you have an assistant to rotate the disc.
Ford Focus mystery - RichardW
>[I await slap on wrist from outraged mechanics]

SLAP!

I have no problem with cleaning the edge of the disc up, but the thickness of the disc should also be measured, and the discs changed out when they reach minimum thickness. On modern cars with ventilated discs this can be well before they 'look' like they need changing.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Richard,

They are vented so I assume I will just have to swallow the expense and get them changed.

Carse
Ford Focus mystery - Altea Ego
Its because your brake discs are getting rusty. Disk gets wet, starts to rust, you use car, pads rub off rust. Repeat x n number of days and viola - disks wear out