Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - vrslociraptor
Hi there,

I will be emigrating to Australia soon and want to know if any back roomer's have had any experiences with Aussie cars (Fords, Holden's) or any of the available Japanese cars there.

I know that you can get most European cars, but just testing the water for something different....maybe!
Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - THe Growler
Holden Monaro V-8.
Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - Kuang
Anything from Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) is bound to put hairs on your chest, then scorch them off again :)
Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - Stargazer {P}
Be ready for a culture shock, relatively cheap dishwater strength fuel (91 RON) and a fondness for V6 engines.

New cars are similar in price but hold their value much better than here in the UK so expect a S/H premium even if buying privately. You will require both 3rd party compulsory insurance (green slip) and proably your own comp insurance. Equivalent of MOT is the pink slip. You will need to take a driving test within a year if emigrating...theory and practical test.

Most smaller Holdens will be very familiar....think Barina/Corsa, Astra, Vectra but the big V6 or V8 Holden (Commodore) and its HSV derivatives are something else completely.

The Fords are mainly small badged Mazdas or the big Ford Falcons (straight 6 or V8). Ford also have a special vehicle division.

Also worth considering (the next biggest sellers) are the Mitsubishi Magna and the Toyota Camry, both in V6 form.As you would expect both capable and reliable family cars.

Big fords, holdens and Magnas are RWD so expect different handling from the euro boxes.

Subaru are also fairly popular and very well thought of, usual WRX fans but the Legacy/Outback (called the Liberty down under) is very popular. Also a huge fraction of 4*4s (Nissan Patrols, Toyota Landcruisers, Mitsu Pajero and many more)

Inland away from the cities the age of cars increases dramatically.

Not so much emphasis on twisty road handling, but most of the big aussie cars are great long distance kilometer munchers.

Imported euro cars tend to be very expensive....they get a luxury car tax, so volvo, bmw are expensive to buy and relatively rare especially outside the cities.

hth

StarGazer

ps which state are you intending on going to? If NSW I can give more info.

Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - vrslociraptor

Thanks for the info,

It is NSW that we will be going to initially. Last time I was there, the media were highlighting the fact about the low RON rating of the petrol and the damage it was doing to engines.

I have looked at the various HSV models, but I do plan to do some long distance touring on my holidays. Was thinking about some of the older indigenous models. I not an old car nut but like the idea that if it's simple it's easy to repair ( in theory).
Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - blue_haddock
When i spent a couple of months there last year the prices i saw seemed fairly cheap compared to over here - Aussies were complaining that the price of the very top Holden model had reached $100,000 dollars which is about £35,000

Used prices we're fairly keen and they get a lot of good condition Jap imports at good prices too.

The two main 'local' cars are the Ford Falcon and the Holden Commodore, both are fairly simple cars relying on big v6 and v8 engines.
Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - Garethj
I prefer their Cortina Mk3 to ours...
cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category...1
Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - frostbite
Wishing you luck in your new life. Here are some questions and answers allegedly to/from the Australian Tourist Board. Hope you find them helpful.

1. Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, so how do the plants grow? (UK)
A: Actually, we import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

2. Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA)
A: Depends how much you've been drinking

3. Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water...

4. Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Australia? (Sweden)
A: So it's true what they say about Swedes.

5. Q: It is imperative that I find the names and addresses of places to contact for a stuffed porpoise. (Italy)
A: Let's not touch this one.

6. Q: Are there any ATMs (cash machines) in Australia? Can you send me a list of them in Brisbane, Cairns, Townsville and Hervey Bay? (UK)
A: What exactly did your last slave die of?

7. Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in
Australia?(USA)
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe.
Aus-tra-lia is that big island in the middle of the pacific which does
not... oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Kings Cross. Come naked.

8. Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 90 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

9. Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

10.Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y,
which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Kings Cross,straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

11. Q: Do you have perfume in Australia? (France)
A: No, WE don't stink.

12. Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Can you tell me where I can sell it in Australia? (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

13. Q: Can I wear high heels in Australia? (UK)
A: You are a British politician, right?

14. Q: Can you tell me the regions in Tasmania where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
A: Yes, gay nightclubs.

15. Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France)
A: Only at Christmas.

16. Q: Are there killer bees in Australia? (Germany)
A: Not yet, but for you, we'll import them.

17. Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilisation of vegan hunter gatherers. Milk is illegal.

18. Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can
dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)
A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

19. Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA)
A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them, although you personally should be safe enough. If you are still worried you can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out
walking.

21. Q: I was in Australia in 1969 on R+R, and I want to contact the girl I dated while I was staying in Kings Cross. Can you help? (USA)
A: Yes, but you will have to pay her by the hour, just like last
time.

22. Q: Will I be able to speek English most places I go? (USA)
A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first.
Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - expat
Like your Q & A Frostbite.

Back on topic. You won't go too far wrong if you get a Holden Commodore or a Ford Falcon. Big cars that suit the country. Petrol is cheap by UK standards so fuel consumption isn't as much a problem as in the UK. If you look out you might even get one which is on LP gas. That makes fuel extremely cheap.

Big cars are very comfortable for doing long distances. Commodores and Falcons are the equivalent of Mondeos and Vectras except bigger. Lots to choose from so you can be picky and get a really good one. Lots of cheap spares and every independent mechanic can fix them. Cars do not depreciate as fast as in the UK so expect to pay a bit more than over there. Everything else is cheaper so you are still better off. If you want a good 2 year old Commodore or Falcon consider going to an auction of ex State Government vehicles. They will be advertised in the Saturday motoring section of the main papers. If you are looking for a cheap old car again the weekend papers and buy privately. You won't get a warranty worth anything on a cheap car at a dealer so you might as well buy private. Make sure the aircon works well. Summer will be a bit of a shock to your system especially if you go inland or up North.

Have a good trip. You will love it.
Australian Cars - Any suggestions? - J Bonington Jagworth
LOL!

I remember a few years ago seeing some Aussie road racing on TV here (UK). I imagine this was bought by mistake, as it was hugely entertaining, and included a voice link to the drivers, who were a) driving out of their skins, and b) quite happy to provide a running commentary, liberally sprinkled with abuse at the other drivers. It made F1 look very tame...