pug 306 turbo - ant1
hi any of you guys help i have a 306 turbo and its a very bad starter once its runing it runs if i turn it off when warm it wont start i pumped the primer under bonnet and when i do that there is derv leaking out of the top of the black filter housing is that normal and allso i have a light on showing water in filter as this is the first pug 306 ive had i dont know how to drain water out of filter or what is making it a bad starter any ideas lads thanks
pug 306 turbo - Civic8
If the primer is leaking in air you stand very little chance of it firing up/starting . Diesel should not escape from any part of fuel system. that includes filter housing/primer. would suggest replacement.It is a common prob as with glow plugs being worn out?
--
Was mech1
pug 306 turbo - ant1
its at the top of the black filter ste where the 4 nuts are is there a rubber seal in there might need replacing?????
pug 306 turbo - dieselhead
sounds like it needs a new filter they are supplied with a new seal that fits on a lip at the top of the filter. 5 min job to change.
pug 306 turbo - IanT
To drain water out of the fuel filter housing (which you can also do while you are changing the filter and seal) ...

There is a plastic drain screw at the front bottom of the filter housing which you can loosen with your fingers. Attach a tube to the drain screw (there may be one already in place). Place a drain can under the end of the tube. Loosen the drain screw by one complete turn. Water and diesel may drain out straightaway, but, if not, help it out by squeezing the primer. Draining an eggcupful should be enough (you don't want to drain too much at 82.9p/litre).

Tighten the drain screw (and refit the new filter and seal). Squeeze the primer to fill the filter housing with diesel. Keep squeezing until significant resistance is felt.

If there is an air-bubble left in the filter housing, the engine may cough and stall when the bubble passes through the system. Just start up again and all will be OK.

Ian
pug 306 turbo - ant1
ok guys hope yer can help i changed the fule filter on the car as it was showing water on the disply light inside the car but the lights still on even with a new filter fitted any ideas???
pug 306 turbo - richy
how many miles have you done since it was changed? I would expect it to go out after a while.
pug 306 turbo - IanT
See my reply to your other post with instructions for draining water from the fuel filter.

Ian

{which I\'ve just now linked together as they\'re on the same subject. DD}
pug 306 turbo - solara
The "water in fuel filter sensor" has been discussed many a time before. The general consensus , is to drain it once, if it still flashes, disconnect the sensor or pull out the dash bulb! Replacing the sensor cost about £80 (for the part) from a pug dealer. Personally I just drain my fuel filter at every 6,000 srvice interval (and have never found any water in it). Also mines always flashed after giving it diesel fuel treatment additive with redex.
pug 306 turbo - Crinkly Dave
I agree. Mine has been almost permanently on for the last 40k, often flickering on and off as I go up hills. I have tried draining it several times, with no apparent change
pug 306 turbo - DL
I've lost count of the number of water sensors I have replaced!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....