Fault Code Readers - Number_Cruncher
Dear Forum,

No longer having access to workshop diagnostic facilities, and having been bitten with a few engine management gremlins lately, I want to get my own fault code reader.

I would like to know if any particular fault reading tool is:

a) easier to use than the others
b) cheaper to buy and to update
c) more applicable to late model German cars, BMW, Mercedes, Vauxhall, VW, Audi

Are there any types that I should simply avoid?

Thank you,

number_cruncher
Fault Code Readers - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
I use TecnoTest Reflex. Its a good tool with good coverage of the specifics you state. User friendly and updateable via internet. Costs about £3000 plus £350 pa for the updates
Sykes-Pickavants ACR4 is another favourite in the trade but requires the purchase of software pods and harnesses for each manufacturer at around £80 a go but you only buy what you need and there is a lot of secondhand units about, expect to pay £1000-1500 for a comprehensive kit with a lot of pods secondhand.
I looked at HansaTech a little while ago but there was so much negative feedback in the trade I decided to give it a miss. The situation may well have improved regarding the software upgrades.
Maverick technology do a cracking laptop-based programme for BMW and of course VAG-com for V.A.G. is a cheap and brilliant system and will adapt throttle bodies, controllers, reset comfort systems, programme keys, immobilisers etc and in some ways is far better than the genuine VW tool in terms of user friendliness.
Its a minefield unfortunately, try contacting Simon Ashby at Diagnostic Techniques (simon@dntn.co.uk).for advice
Andrew

--
Simplicate and add lightness!!
Fault Code Readers - Stuartli
One or two cheaper solutions:

www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Revues/GunsonFCR.html

www.gendan.co.uk/diagnostic/

tinyurl.com/54d3v

There are many others. Of course, these may not be good enough or apply to full professional use.

American examples are priced from around $25..:-)

tinyurl.com/5xop2
Fault Code Readers - Number_Cruncher
Thanks Andrew & Stuart for your replies,

I am torn between the PC-Based ISO & PWM Scan Tools with cables and Digimoto Software from gendan, and the Sykes ACR4.

Please allow me to check my understanding, the gendan is just for EOBD engine diagnostics, whereas the Sykes machine is also good for non engine systems ?

There seem to be a lot of Sykes ACR4 machines for sale on Ebay - is this because they are becoming obsolete, or is it simply a reflection of their popularity?

Cheers,

number_cruncher