Torque and BHP - TimmyRaa
I understand that torque is measuring the ability to turn or twist something about an axis (ie. the driveshaft of a car), but how does that relate in the real world to car engines, in comparison to the brake horse power of an engine?

Basically, what's the difference, in layman's terms? For example, why do diesel engines generally have higher torques, than their equivalent bhp petrol cousins, and how does this translate in the actual drive from each engine?
Torque and BHP - Sooty Tailpipes
Power = torque x velocity (rpm)

Power is a fuction of engine speed, torque is not.
Torque and BHP - patently
Power is a fuction of engine speed, torque is not.

Hmmm. Not sure I'd agree with you, ST. Torque varies with rpm, usually.

I'd express the difference by saying that power figures indicate how fast the car will manage, whereas torque figures indicate how quickly it will get there.
What I mean is that you can have torque at 0rpm.
You can exert 120 Nm of torque on a nut, but you can't undo it, nothing moved.
Power on the other hand requires movement (work done) and a measurement of the amount of time it is being done for. Hopefully someone more articulate can elaborate?
Torque and BHP - hillman
Diesel engines have a higher torque because the mean efective pressure on the piston crown is higher. I.e., the compression ratio is greater, possibly 20:1 against 10:1, giving more push (torque).
Torque and BHP - none
That was a very brief explanation Sooty, and didn't enlighten me much !
If you will bear with me for a few lines !!!!!!
I can understand piston speed and travel, crankshaft throw, compression ratio, engine fuelling etc all being combined to result in an engine running best at X rpm. (torque)
I can understand how the same engine running faster can produce more bhp.
What I can't really grasp is why max torque and max bhp don't occur at the same time.
As an example, I've driven a few HGV's on one route that included a long uphill stretch. On approach the engine is at max revs (bhp) but as the hill is ascended the revs drop until the max torque rpm range is reached, about 200rpm lower, then the engine will slog away without dropping revs any further.
Why does the engine perform better at less than max bhp ?

Well, I think if a car has a torque curve that is just a straight line, say 300Nm at all rpms, then the BHP at 4000rpm will be exactly double that of 2000Nm.
Power (BHP) is work done, like watts, Torque is angular force.

I suppose torque is the potential to do work, and power is measure of work done.

Torque will allow a tank to pull down a big tree from a standing start, but power will allow it to cover ground quickly.

torque is exterted by tug of war men even if they are not moving forward or backwards, whereas power will allow them to pull their opponents across the field.
Torque and BHP - Dalglish
.. torque is the potential to do work ...

>>

sooty -

exactly right - as can be seen from the fact that "potential energy" (e.g. of an object raised to a given height above some datum) and "torque" have exactly the same units "newton-metres" or in old-imperial system "foot-pounds".
Torque and BHP - catcher
I hope this helps..
Power = Torque x speed

It is possible to have a motorbike that is 100 bhp and a tractor that is 100 bhp but obviously two different machines.
Many people would (wrongly) say the tractor was more powerful - what they mean is it has more torque (pulling power). It's easy to confuse what power is.

The motorbike gets it's power from a lot of speed, but relatively little torque, the tractor on the other hand gets 100 bhp from a lot of torque but relatively little speed. Both machines have the same power output.
The reason power increases as revs increase is because the increase in speed increases power. Put some numbers to the equation above to illustrate
e.g. 100 bhp = 20 torque x 5 speed (tractor)
100 bhp = 5 torque x 20 speed (motorbike)

Torque and BHP - Number_Cruncher
There is a way to eke out a little more information from the torque and power figures usually quoted by manufacturers which isn't widely known. The manufacturers usually publish something of this form;

Max Torque: T (Nm) at MAXT rpm
Max Power: P (kW) at MAXP rpm

Using the fact that at maximum torque, the torque curve is flat, one can calculate the gradient of the power curve, as;

Power (W) = Torque (Nm) x angular velocity (rad/s)

differentiating with respect to engine angular speed gives:

Rate of change of power (W per rad/s) = MAXT

This idea can be used in the reverse way, in order to calculate the gradient of the torque curve at the maximum power speed.

With this extra info, it is possible to fit simple power and torque curves. These usually provide quite a good fit to data derive from engine dynamometers, except for engines which are strongly ram tuned.

This method was developed by Prof. Gordon Lucas of Loughborough University during his research work in the 60's.
Torque and BHP - Ben {P}
none- typed this quick, badly written but basically right.

Max power is rarely produced at maximum engine speed. Max torque occurs at an engine speed when the cylinder fills with air and then burns its charge most efficiently. As engine speeds go higher than peak torque, gas flow restrictions reduce the amount of air drawn into the cylinder. Max power occurs at a speed when the engine is producing the greatest energy- ie ability to do work. For example if a car produces max torque 3x at 2000, yet only produces 2x units of torque at 4k rpm, that is the speed it will produce the greatest power since, 3x*2000= 6000x, whereas 2x*4000= 8000x. Basically the speed at which the engine burns the most fuel per unit time.

Power accelerates cars. Diesels often produce max torque at much lower engine speeds than petrol cars, hence often produce more power at low engine speeds than petrol cars.

When looking at power figures, peak power on its own is not particularly useful. What you want is high peak power with a good spread of torque across the power band.
>Power accelerates cars. Diesels often produce max torque at >much lower engine speeds than petrol cars, hence often produce >more power at low engine speeds than petrol cars.

I have not yet seen the logic which lies behind this type of statement explained clearly - gauntlet thrown down! :-)

If an engine produces an amount of torque, then it is modified by passing through some gear ratios, so there is some torque acting to drive the roadwheels. Dividing this torque by the rolling radius of the wheel gives the tractive effort - a force.

For speeds much less than that of light, Newton has the formula:

Force = mass x acceleration

So, my view is this - For a given mass of car, torque produces tractive effort, a force which accelerates the car. Power is a relatively meaningless number that tells you how fast your engine is turning over to deliver this torque, and gives Clarkson something to use the range of his voice in crowing over. ;-)

number_cruncher
Torque and BHP - catcher
And we haven't even got to the debate about what Brake Horse Power means (as opposed to power output at the wheels)!
Torque and BHP - L'escargot
And we haven't even got to the debate about what Brake
Horse Power means (as opposed to power output at the wheels)!

Or, just as importantly, the comparison between engine output torque and torque at the wheels. The higher the gearing, as per diesel engines, the lower is the torque at the road wheels for a given engine torque. And it's the torque at the road wheels which is the most relevant.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
.. what's the difference, in layman's terms? For example, why >> do diesel engines generally have higher torques, than their
equivalent bhp petrol cousins ....

timmyraa - simple layman's answer at

auto.howstuffworks.com/question381.htm
and
auto.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm

also, use forum search (on the right) for some previous discussions.
Torque and BHP - tyro
Sorry, but I'm a little slow on the uptake (& totally blinded by science)and have yet to get an explanation that I can understsand, of what power vs torque actually means in practice.

Suppose car A & car B have the same power, but A has higher torque than B, what difference would I notice in the way they drove?

And if C & D had the same torque, but C had more power, what difference would I notice?
Torque and BHP - Ben {P}
I think this explains everything: www.pumaracing.co.uk/power1.htm
Torque and BHP - Roger Jones
Tyro

You're not alone.

My quick & dirty conceptual grasp is that torque = grunt = acceleration. Given the same power (bhp), the car with the greater torque will be quicker to accelerate. But torque is not evenly distributed over the whole range of engine revs, so it depends where you start and where you finish. Torque can be very noticeable in diesels because it is often manifested at relatively low revs; however, it is rarely sustained to high revs. Thus, in the Audi diesel courtesy car that I once drove, its acceleration from less than 1500 rpm to well short of 3000 rpm was most impressive, but there wasn't much point in pressing further without changing gear.

I am reminded of a V12 MB S600 that I saw demonstrated at MB UK HQ at Milton Keynes. Its torque curve has a flat peak between 1800 and 3500 rpm -- at 800Nm! Now, that's what I call "grunt". Its lesser stable mates with less torque may reach the same top speed, but would get there less quickly.

Don't rely on all that, but it works for me -- so far.
Tyro,

Suppose car A & car B have the same power, but A has higher torque than B, what difference would I notice in the way they drove?

If A has higher torque, but the same power as B, then A must produce this torque lower down in its rev range, and thereafter as revs increase for engine A, its torque would reduce. This is the characterisitic aimed for in commercial vehicle engine design, and explains for the differences in performance of the same sized engines in, say a transit and a sierra. This characteristic, called a "back up" torque characteristic, of having high torque at low engine speeds is useful in commercial vehicles because it allows the vehicle to climb hills easily - as the engine slows it develops more torque, and an equilibrium is reached.

And if C & D had the same torque, but C had more power, what difference would I notice?

This means that D produces its torque lower down the rev range, and it has a "back up" torque charateristic.

Of course, it you are designing an engine for a lighter vehicle, you aren't interested in back up torque, you are more interested in getting a high flat torque curve that remains high as you go up the rev range. Eventually, port/valve aerodynamics stop this, and the torque curve begins to fall. This is the reason for 16V engines, you can get more air through before they begin to choke.

I hope this helps...

number_cruncher
Torque and BHP - catcher
Tyro
There seems to be too many people trying to baffle you with science!
To answer your question...
To put it simply (that's all it needs!!)... With car 'A' you wouldn't need to change down gears as much when going uphill - it would 'hang on' longer in each gear.
With car 'C' it would be able to go faster than car 'D'
Taking extremes

You could have a tiny, minature engine spinning very fast producing negligible torque and, say 50 BHP.

You could have a man turning a spanner on the the bolt on the end of the crankshaft producing 100Nm of torque, but no meaningful power.

Both of these are clearly no use to drive a car.

The speed at which an engine produces its peak torque is the important thing. Commercials produce it low down in the rev range, and racing engines, higher. The spread between the max torque engine speed and the max power engine speed give a measure of how flexible an engine is in use.

To digress - how should a Wankel engine be considered? It has some internal gearing. Should power be calculated from the rotational speed of the rotor, or of the output shaft?

number_cruncher
Torque and BHP - TimmyRaa
Okay, thanks guys - it's a bit clearer now. I was always able to relate torque to "grunt", but never really knowing why.

I only ask because I test drove a Civic Type-R and a Focus ST170 on Monday, and thought in comparison the Type-R was pretty gutless below 5500rpm, where the ST170 had grunt much lower down. Though there was the ridiculous surge of power around 7000rpm on the Civic. :o)

Both cars seem to have identical max torques, although the ST achieves it slightly lower down.
Torque and BHP - redafour
Is it any clearer really?.If you ever want to make a car know all look silly at a party ask him to explain what torque means!LOL! Its impossible to do so!
Torque and BHP - tyro
Thanks for those who've thrown in their wisdom. I think I'm a little clearer. One day, perhaps I'll understand it all.
Torque and BHP - THe Growler
My definition of torque is much simpler and needs no scientific explanation, since it is based on experiential methods.

It's a handful of Harley throttle at the traffic lights and a belt in the guts at quite low rpm allied to serious acceleration causing one to make sure one has a good grip on the bars and one's squeeze on the back seat has a good grip on oneself, while chummy on his Hondayamakawasuzi is winding the bejesus out of his riceburner in an attempt to get some speed up.

He will eventually overtake me (BHP) but his girlfriend back-riding won't enjoy it as much as mine. Has something to do with the vibration I believe.

But then what do I know? I only got 17% in GCE Physics LOL.
Torque and BHP - Vin {P}
In simple terms, torque is the turning power of the engine, power is speed of delivery of that turning power.

So, lean on a torque wrench that's a foot long with a force of 100lb. Regardless of how fast it rotates, if you're still applying a torque of 100ftlb, the torque is unchanged. However, the faster you're rotating it, the more work you are doing; you're increasing the power. With all (?) engines there comes a point when you can't deliver the 100lb force at the speed required, so the torque reduces. However, the power (or total work being done) may still be increasing, despite the torque having reduced to, say, 90ftlb.

Mathematically, thanks to the miracle of the units used:

Power (bhp) = torque (ftlb) x rpm /5252

You'll notice this means that torque in ftlb = power in BHP at 5252 revs.

A big gap in revs between peak torque revs and peak power is generally a sign of a nice driveable engine. At lower revs you'll have the torque to accelerate, at higher revs the engine will still be delivering the remaining torque effectively to continue the acceleration.

HTH.

V
Torque and BHP - none
Well,
With due respect to everyone else, I think Vin explained it nicely. I can almost understand things now.
Torque and BHP - Ben {P}
Vin is spot on. That means that on any power and torque graph showing bhp, the power and torque curves should cross at 5252. If they do not, like some from "chip tuning" companies, you know they are made up.
Torque and BHP - redafour
Vin is spot on. That means that on any power and
torque graph showing bhp, the power and torque curves should cross
at 5252. If they do not, like some from "chip tuning"
companies, you know they are made up.

What?? The manufacturers data for my Audi TDI 110 is maximum torque of 225Nm is between 1700 and 3500 rpm and the maximum power of 81kw or 110 BHP is at 4150 rpm..and another thing is the govenor prevents this engine revving beyond 5000 revs so how can power and torque cross at 5252??
Torque and BHP - Robin Reliant
If torque is cheap, how come diesels cost more than petrols?
Torque and BHP - Vin {P}
"The manufacturers data for my Audi TDI 110 is maximum torque of 225Nm is between 1700 and 3500 rpm and the maximum power of 81kw or 110 BHP is at 4150 rpm..and another thing is the govenor prevents this engine revving beyond 5000 revs so how can power and torque cross at 5252??"

First of all, as my physics teacher, Mr Campbell, used to say, "Units, you nits!" (by the way, that's meant to take the mickey out of me, not you)

225Nm = 165ftlb. 81Kw = 109BHP.

Thus, your graph would have a peak torque at "Somewhere between 1700-3500" (bit vague, that) of 165ftlb. This line would drop off.

Also, your BHP line would peak at 109BHP at 4150 revs and drop off at a different rate. If your car revved to 5252 revs, the two lines would cross there. The fact that the car's got a rev limiter simply means that you can't rev to 5252 revs, not that the lines wouldn't cross there.

By the way, the whole 5252 figure is just a mathematical oddity. It doesn't mean a thing.

V
By the way, the whole 5252 figure is just a mathematical
oddity. It doesn't mean a thing.

>>

personally, imo, i would say it means quite a lot.
for those who are asking -

"But where does the number 5,252 come from?", see
auto.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm

or the section " HOW TORQUE AND POWER RELATE " at
www.pumaracing.co.uk/power1.htm

Torque and BHP - Vin {P}
">> By the way, the whole 5252 figure is just a mathematical
oddity. It doesn't mean a thing.

>>

personally, imo, i would say it means quite a lot."

I was making the point that, for example, if you change the units, the crossover point changes, so there is no real importance in the number itself.

V