Black oil-Alfa 156 JTS - JoeO
Hi all. Just bought an Alfa 156 JTS which apparently had its first annual service about 400 miles ago. (This confirmed by service record book.)

On checking the oil level (which was fine, at the upper limit) I noticed that the oil is very black. Am I right to be suspicious that the oil is older than 400 miles?

I'm tempted to bung some nice new synthetic in there just to be on the safe side. Any thoughts? Best regards

Joe
Black oil-Alfa 156 JTS - borasport20
Joe - bear in mind oil has cleaning and detergent function, and the better it is at either of these things, the quicker it will get black.

I can recall having my oil changed twice in the past twelve months and on both occasions, it turned black within a day or two.

But if you are at all concerned, change the oil for your own peace of mind. - (check the oil filter - how new does that look ?)

--
you have to get out of the car sometime
so visit www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Black oil-Alfa 156 JTS - Ian D
I changed the oil and filter on my 1995 Golf TDi 90, put in 10W40 semi-synthetic and acheced the oil after a rrun at idle -no problems. Checked it again after 100 miles and yes it was black. Probably OK but as has been said change the oil again for peace on mind...
Black oil-Alfa 156 JTS - Aprilia
If the engine was 'dirty' when the new oil was put in then, as others have said, it will turn black pretty quickly. On a regularly serviced car most of the muck should drain out with the old oil - so the new oil should stay clean for quite a while (more than 400 miles). I would change the oil again.