When exactly is the first MoT Due? - Hairy Hat Man
Got a V11 in the post this morning to renew the tax on my motorbike.

I thought my bike was registered on 06/09/2001 and hence didn\'t need an MoT to renew the tax this time round. However the V11 indicates that I need an MoT certificate.

So I took a look at a document www.dvla.gov.uk/forms/pdf/v112.pdf \'Claim for exemption from MoT testing / Declaration as to age of vehicle\', and found this:

\"Note: Because it is impossible to discover the precise date of construction the date of manufacture is always taken to be the last day of the year in which a vehicle was constructed. The vehicles first annual MoT test will be due at the end of the third year from its date of manufacture.\"

So, given that my bike was constructed in 2001, according to the above it doesn\'t need an MoT until 1st January 2005!

Comments please.

P.S. I\'ve subsequently realised my bike was registered on the 1/09/01, so I would have expected it to need an MoT on the 1/9/04 to tax it.
When exactly is the first MoT Due? - Happy Blue!
To tax a car for its fourth year you need a valid MoT certificate for that year (i.e. the car is over three years old), even though you will actually tax the car before it has reached the end of its third year.

If you delay in taxing the bike until after 1/9/04 (say 5/9/04, you will have time to get the certificate on 1/9/04 and tax it with a full years MoT.

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
When exactly is the first MoT Due? - RichardW
I think the age related exemption is for imports only. For normal UK registered vehicles, they (cars anyway) require an MOT 3 years after the date of first registration. I believe that the 'month early' rule applies, and if you take the V5 at the time of the test to prove the reg date, and it is up to one month before the reg date then the MOT cert will run until 1 calendar year after the reg date. Eg you could take the bike now with the V5 and get a ticket until 31st August 2005.

see www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/carlgvowners/mottesting/motte...m

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
When exactly is the first MoT Due? - Stuartli
It is three years after the car is first registered. However, if you don't have it tested immediately whenever you are due to start, or in subsequent years, then the new date applies afterwards.

Imported vehicles' first MOT tests are due three years after the date of manufacture.

I've always taken my cars for their MOT test two or three weeks before the certificate expired and, on completion of the test, informed the tester the date from which the new certificate should run.

The start date has always been allowed from the expiration of the current version by the tester; not surprising, as it can be done for up to a month ahead as detailed on the back of an MOT certificate.

MOT test checks list:

www.motester.co.uk/cog.html