307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - s_curtis
I had a call from a friend the other day to say that her 51 plate Peugeot 307 Rapier diesel has just gone up in flames. Having been parked outside her house overnight, she got a knock on the door to say that smoke was coming out from around the O/S front wheel, at which point it burst into flames.
It's not been recalled for the sticky ignition switch problem, and she's never noticed any problem with the ignition.

She has spoken to Peugeot as it's still under warranty, but they are being very cagey and have told the dealer to say only that "the matter is in hand and peugeot are dealing with it". However the dealer has said that 307's do have a tendancy to catch fire in the fuse box or if an electrical connector near the power steering pump gets wet. Surely if there is a known problem with an connector getting wet and casusing a fire this should warrant a recall?

I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has heard of or experienced this problem?

Thanks.

307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - mare
have a look at the car by car breakdown.

an issue that may lead to fires noted there is the starter motor remaining engaged
Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of the starter motor problem, but as I say there's never been any indication of the ignition switch sticking, which I believe is the cause of the starter remaining engaged.
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - LeePower
Is this the battery cable shorting on the aircon pipes problem?

Or the cooling fans short circuiting problem?

Both of these have affected different lot of Peugeots in the last few years?
It's doesn't have aircon so won't be that, but I do suspect the cooling fan. Since this is a known problem and with Peugeot being cagey over as to what they say, I'm beginning to suspect they know this may be the problem.
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - Frogeye
So do 307's have the same cooling fan control module problem as 406's? It would seem likely that they are the same modules. The cooling fan module on my 02 reg 406Hdi caught fire, fortunately??? just burning itself out without further damage. There was a recall soon after.
Peugeot "customer services" (what an oxymoron!!) are very economical with the truth and that is being polite. Their reaction has made me vow never to buy another Peugeot having previously owned 10.
We are still waiting for a response from Peugeout, but it appears they may have found something as when we last checked they said that this has now been passed to Peugeot France. It seems strange that they can't deal with this in UK?
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - Mystic
Guess thats where the techincal expertise for the car is.
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - Victorbox
I'm sure the BBC Watchdog programme devoted a good proportion of one programme about a year ago to several 307's catching fire so Peugeot know all about it.
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - LeePower
The 607 catches fire too.

www.topgear.com/duffers
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - Victorbox
..... and here is the BBC Watchdog article: www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/reports/transport11.shtml Seems there is a Peugeot recall.
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - mn
Hi,

Can you tell us, when was the car manufactured?

Thanks,
MN
I'm not sure of the exact manufacture date, but the 3 year warranty expires 16 Dec 2004.
Good news. Peugeot have accepted full liability and are replacing the car with a 52 plate. They won't however say what caused the fire.
The oOnly thing left now is to get the dealer that collected the car on behalf of Peugeot to drop the £50 recovery charge.
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - DL
What a result! Bet your pleased...I would be.

This fire thing doesn't just affect Peugeots.....there have been quite a few new Clios going up in smoke recently....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
307 Diesel - Under Bonnet Fire - Moi_2
Good news. Peugeot have accepted full liability and are replacing the car with a 52
plate. They won't however say what caused the fire.
The oOnly thing left now is to get the dealer that collected the car on
behalf of Peugeot to drop the £50 recovery charge.

Hi - Did you make a claim with your insurance as well, or did they take the "Manufacturing Faults are not covered" line?