Nissan Almera 1.5 & 1.8 engines - Ppaul
Relating to cars from 2000-2004.

Can anyone confirm that these engines are fitted with a timing chain?

Thanks
Nissan Almera 1.5 & 1.8 engines - A Dent{P}
Yes they are timing chain, and the tappets are shimmed. On the whole a maintenance free zone. Even the fuel filter is maintenance free.
Regards
Nissan Almera 1.5 & 1.8 engines - Aprilia
Yes - chains. Change oil regularly (every 6 months) and use a good synthetic and you'll have not problems.

I believe the fuel filter is changed every 48 months (or 60000 km). There is a crankcase ('PCV') valve which should be changed every 24 months - a little plastic tube thing - they don't cost much.
Nissan Almera 1.5 & 1.8 engines - A Dent{P}
>I believe the fuel filter is changed every 48 months (or 60000 km). There is a crankcase ('PCV') valve which should be changed every 24 months - a little plastic tube thing - they don't cost much.

I'm intrigued. I'm about to over service mine but I did'nt see anything about this in the service schedule (Nissan CD-courtesy of EBAY). I know there is a evap chamber thingy (technical term)to check ou.
I'll chase this PCV thing out now as well.
Thanks
There were changes after 2002 - so it is possible that the fuel filter on later models (2002-04) is in the tank with the pump. I'm not 100% sure on that. If it does have a filter its likely to be on the N/S firewall in a clip. The filter will be a silver cylinder marked either 'Bosch' or 'Nissan'.

The PCV valve is P/N 11810-0M300 - it pushes into the rocker cover and has a rubber pipe coming off it.
Nissan Almera 1.5 & 1.8 engines - lezebre
These GA series engines a little older than this had a felt PCV filter. I don't know how much Nissan charges for these because I have replaced (often) with a circular cotton wool pad nicked from Swmbo's cosmketics drawer and folded to fit. No probs after 5 years ownership. HJ says important to keep the oil clean on chaincam engines, and I have followed this advice. Also don't neglect coolant change, and apart from the hassle of draining from the bottom hose there is no reason for laziness here, because this engine tends not to develop coolan t airlocks.
Don't forget to check water level soon after a change, though.
These GA series engines a little older than this had a
felt PCV filter. I don't know how much Nissan charges for
these because I have replaced (often) with a circular cotton wool
pad nicked from Swmbo's cosmketics drawer and folded to fit. No
probs after 5 years ownership.

The PCV filter is in a little plastic 'pipe'. You could improvise, but to be honest they cost so little that I wouldn't bother. Agree with all your other points. Stick to genuine Nissan antifreeze (type L250) diluted 50:50 with distilled water. It is not too dear (£3.50 a litre) and you'll need 4 litres.