Peugeot 406 hdi(90) running problems - Smelly
I have enjoyed months of happy motoring in my 93000 mile pug 406 diesel, that is, until recently.(2001 Y reg)

It is running very rough, very noticeable from cold, and in general lacks power and runs very lumpy (almost like a misfire)

My local peugeot dealer plugged it in and said there was nothing wrong with it, so i took it to one of these delphi diesel centres.

They told me that my injectors are worn, fuel pump and regulator is faulty too! They claim its an uneconomical repair:(

It surprises me that all this can go at once, it was only running fine a week ago.

Can anyone offer me advice on what to do next? I dont really want to change cars again.
Its also worth mentioning the delphi test centre also said that they were getting very unsteady fuel pressure readings and had never seen anything like that before. They were quick to take my £75 ......
Peugeot 406 hdi(90) running problems - Robin the Technician
I think someone is trying to get you to part with copius quantites of cash for little effort. First, the ONLY accurate way of testing diesel injectors is to remove them and test them on a Hartridge style tester. For £75 i doubt very much if that was done. Fuel pump worn- I assume they mean the injector pump. These either work or don't. The only way (again) to ascertain if its no good is to strip it down.
You have not mentioned any service history. My thoughts would be to change oil and filter, air filter and most importantly the fuel filter. A hell of a lot of poor running with diesels is down to fuel fiter being clogged or full of water.
If after all the service requirements have been done and it still runs badly, suggest you replace the injectors first.
Hope this helps

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Peugeot 406 hdi(90) running problems - RichardW
Don't forget this is a modern common rail engine, where the injection is controlled by computer. It's not exactly unkown for the low pressure fuel pumps to go faulty on these engines - this could certianly give variable fuel pressures - although usually this results in a total no-start condition. I would take the fuel filter out and look carefully for any copper / brass particles in the bottom - DL said on here this is the first sign of LP pump failure.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Peugeot 406 hdi(90) running problems - Andrew-T
Yes, change air and fuel filters, cheap enough. My 306 HDi seemed to be running OK recently but was making lots of smoke. The above treatment, with some diesel conditioner, has restored running and got it through MoT emissions without any other work.
Can anyone advise on how to change fuel filter? Does the system need pressurising again afterwards?
Thanks for your replies...
Peugeot 406 hdi(90) running problems - dieselhead

From what i can remember you have to remove the inlet pipe and maybe outlet pipe to the top of the filter by pressing in a blue or green retaining clip with a blunt screwdriver. Then turn the top of the filter anti-clockwise with i think a 24 or 25 mm spanner. After re-connection the system should self bleed and pressurise with the ignition on.
Peugeot 406 hdi(90) running problems - chris1111
hi i have had the same problem with my 406 and i fixed it. it would run for days running realy well then all of a sudden lack of power cut out warnning light on , leave it for few minutes start it and it would run fine very strange .
but i found what it was fuel filter houseing there is a blead screw that has a seal in it well the seal dose wear out and let fuel out this drops the fuel pressure , whitch gives a lack of power warnning light comes on and yes you got it it stops .
OK heres the good news you can buy the blead screw on its own and only cost 1.50 , my 406 is like new
to buy a new fuel filter houseing will cost about 55 pound but the blead screw is sold on its own because it wears out, i hope this helps.
Peugeot 406 hdi(90) running problems - Screwloose

One thing that's always worth checking on these, is the security of the connexions on the fuel-rail pressure sensor located in the bottom of the fuel rail. Unstable primary [low] pressure on the live-data is usually a failing in-tank pump. As already said; look for copper-coloured particles in the filter housing - if you see any, change the complete housing/filter as an assembly. Don't try and clean them out; you really don't want any of them getting into the secondary pump.

If the low-pressure side was showing good pressure, but the secondary [high] pressure was fluctuating; then there is the possibility that you have an internally-cracked injector leaking excessive amounts of fuel back to the tank.