can only main dealers do it? - barney100
I have car with a service warning indicator on the dash. Is it only main dealers who can service these models (c class Mercedes in this case} or can a local garage do it?
can only main dealers do it? - Stuartli
Recently there was a move from on high to try and ensure that even new car buyers could have vehicles serviced/repaired at other than franchised dealerships without affecting the warranty.

However, apart from the fact that if and when you come to sell it a main dealer stamped service book is important, such dealers' workshops house the very latest diagnostic equipment etc and full manufacturer servicing news and updates.

can only main dealers do it? - spikeyhead {p}
There are a few independant garages about that can do most things. If you can't find one, then ask a backstreet car lot where they get theirs sorted.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
can only main dealers do it? - Vin {P}
My garage tells me that they hire the diagnostic equipment from their local Bosch shop at around £20 the few times it's really needed. That's probably about 20 seconds of MB main dealer time.

V
can only main dealers do it? - Aprilia
Assuming its a 2003/04 C-Class W203 series then you can actually reset the service indicator yourself by pushing the correct dash buttons in the correct sequence. Any garage will be able to do this for you (the info is in the 2004 Autodata book).

The C-Class is dead easy for basic servicing (there is very little to do) and a decent independant will charge you a fraction of what the MB dealer will want (those potted palms and Italian suits cost serious money!).

'Intermediate' service books at 1.1 hours; 'Major' service books at 2.75 hours. Intermediate is mainly checking levels, belts and fluids + oil and filter change. Major involves renewing filters (air, injection, etc.). IIRC MB book brake fluid change seperately - but again, its a very straightforward job. Never ceases to amaze me how main dealers in the UK get away with charging as much as they do for very basic work.