Low brake fluid level - 1993 Clio - Ppaul
A work colleague has told me that the brake fluid level on his clio is below the minimum mark.

Am I correct in thinking this is *really* bad for the brake system or does that only apply when replacing fluid?

He's going to top it up at lunch but does the system need bleeding or something similar?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Low brake fluid level - 1993 Clio - RichardW
It's not bad for the brake system per se, but it might be very bad for him if the brakes fail!! Low fluid level indicates that there is either a fluid leak, or the pads and discs are in desperate need of changing as all the cylinders are fully extended. He should get this looked at by a competant person without delay.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Low brake fluid level - 1993 Clio - RichardW
>pads and discs

Oops meant pads and (or) shoes. Discs might also need replacing, but this is nothing to do with the fluid level (although I guess it could be if the discs were very thin, causing over extension of the caliper pistons).

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Low brake fluid level - 1993 Clio - Sooty Tailpipes
If it's just low as in the reservoir is not up to MAX, then that's OK, just top p, but if the reservoir is empty, air could have been drawn into the system, and so it should be bled.