Rover 416 problems (seazure and clutch) - NeilT
I need a bit of advice. I have a 1996 k-series 416 that is for track days. The problem is, before I can fit a tuned 1.8 K-series engine I need to move it. The head gasket had previously gone on the water way just above the alternator. This wasn't a problem for moving it around as I just put some water in and it would run fine for 15 mins even.

Now after 5 weeks I need to start it to move it and its not starting. Basically after some playing about with it we decided to pull it down the road to bump start it, the trouble is it tried to start, but theres also a loud screeching noise. The alternbator belt is tight, but was smelling of burning after we tried this. My believe is that either the alternator is seazed after water has dripped onto it after 5 weeks, or that the water pump it's self is seazed.

Both of these sound likely as when you try to turn the engine over with a charged battery it struggles to turn, and when it does turn once it makes the same screeching noise.

I don't need this engine, but for the ease of moving it to our new house in a few weeks it would be handy for it to have it's own power even though its being towed there.

Whislst on the sunject of the Rover, does anyone else have a problem with a really high biting point and shudder on clutch take up on the 414/416? it is a new clutch that was fitted buy a service centre just before I bought the car (only for £500), but seems a bit wierd to me.

BTW, anyone got a spare 1.8 K-series engine they want to get rid of?? :-)

Neil T
Mondeo Ghia TDCi 130 Estate, SEAT Toledo 20VT Sport, Various Montegos...
Rover 416 problems (seazure and clutch) - Civic8
Disconnect the alt/belt.then try and turn alt pulley by hand.if stiff thats your prob.if loose which it should be may be the water pump in which case beware as it will destroy the cam belt.Clutch mechanism on these are hydraulic and so when new clutch is installed bite point is higher than part worn.also if clutch not installed correctly will cause judder.assuming no oil leaks.Cant answer last question.
--
Was mech1