calibra steering column play ? - the conductor
hi have 1993 2.016v calibra 92,000 from new.
has failed mot on exessive play in steering column.
have been told its a loose bolt but needs dash out to change?
have spoke to vaux dealer and told me its failey common and need a new column at £300 plus special order.
they also told me it used to be a prob on mk3 cav.
has anybody had this and found a cost effective way of repairing it ?
many thnaks
spud
calibra steering column play ? - Civic8
Did they explain as to whether mountings are loose.or play is in the steering shaft in the column?
--
Was mech1
calibra steering column play ? - the conductor
they are saying a bolt has dropped out of the bracket making the column drop down one side
calibra steering column play ? - Civic8
In which case a new bolt is all that is required.unless you can find the old one poss floating around under dash panel.I am not certain how easy they are to get to.but does not warrant new column.
--
Was mech1
calibra steering column play ? - Dynamic Dave

You don\'t need to remove the dash to access the column bolts. All you need do is remove the cowling around the upper part of the column, and the flimsy cardboard tray underneath the dashboard that is held on by 5 or 6 twist clips that are easily removed by turning 90 degrees with a flat bladed screwdriver.

The problem you might have is that depending on which bolt is loose, the upper mount is held in place by two bolts, one of which is a sheer bolt (the RH side one) that needs drilling out. The LH bolt on the \"U\" clamp is standard Hex.

If you haven\'t a Haynes manual to hand, I can scan the relevant pages and email them to you. It\'s for a Cavalier, but as it\'s only the bodywork that\'s different to a Calibra, there *shouldn\'t* be any difference in the proceedure.