VW 1.9 Tdi occasional misfire - Sofa Spud
Hi!

I've posted the odd comment on the discussion forum about how my 94 Passat estate 1.9 Tdi has done 145,000 miles and hasn't missed a beat. Perhaps it serves me right but it has now developed a very occasional misfire!

The engine runs normally for days, then out of the blue there's a sudden one-off misfire followed by a kick of extra power. It's like a heart palpitation, that's the best analogy! It seems like a whole-engine cut-out followed by an immediate 'bump' re-start. After this the car runs normally, maybe for days, before the next occurrence. It happens under gentle acceleration. Other than this the engine starts and runs perfectly.

My thoughts are that it could be:
-contaminated fuel
-poor fuel flow (gunged fuel filter)
-faulty injector pump
-faulty engine management
-or (less likely) - problem with airflow into engine.

Any advice.
Cheers, Sofa Spud

VW 1.9 Tdi occasional misfire - JohnM{P}
My Audi80 TDi suffered a few 'coughs' just like that, accompanied by a HUGE cloud of black smoke from the exhaust, each time continuing as nothing had happened. This occurred, if I remember correctly, just a few times between 80k and 100k; dealers couldn't find anything wrong, then car ran perfectly to 133k (when it went back to the leasing company)...
Re. your Audi's huge cloud of smoke - that happenned on my Passat on it's first hiccup, but not on subsequent ones. Today I drove the car 30 miles and it behaved impeccably. Mystery indeed!

Cheers, SS
VW 1.9 Tdi occasional misfire - autumnboy
Try the process of elimination.

Check all the wiring connections around the fuel pump and check the ignition switch for faulty connections( intermittent break of circuit).
Change the fuel filter first.
Maybe you have air flow sensors in the air intake?? faulty?

The list goes on. Leave the dramatic expensive things till last, like faulty pump and faulty ECU.
Fuel filter change is on the list - it's overdue.

Cheers, SS
VW 1.9 Tdi occasional misfire - the conductor
knackered injector the pintle inside is worn and sticking open.
had this on an old 1.6td golf 2 i had
Passat 1.9 Tdi misfire (again) - Sofa Spud
I'm still getting the occasional misfire, or cough, from my '94 Passat 1.9 Tdi estate. I posted on here before. Since then I've fitted a new fuel filter, so that's not the problem.

The symptom is this: Engine runs normally, beautifully even, except for intermittent coughs, sometimes frequent, or on some journeys not at all.

My thoughts are that it's a poor connection at one of the plug-in connectors for the engine management system. The other day the car became sluggish, with no feel of boost from the turbo. When I pushed the air-mass sensor plug in tighter, all back to normal.

The problem is I can't cure the problem. Any ideas before I go down the VW main dealer / diagnostic machine route?

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Passat 1.9 Tdi misfire (again) - RichardW
SS

Do a Forum Search on MAF, and you\'ll see plenty of problems with the MAF on these motors. As yous appeared to improve by wiggling the plug that may just need a clean, but I suspect not...

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
VW 1.9 Tdi occasional misfire - surjit
I had a similar problem on a 94M 1.9TDi passat. I sprayed some contact cleaner/lubricant on all electrical connectors (Take apart spray inside both halves and re-assemble)in the engine compartment. This cured my problem
It might work for you.