air-con on 1yr old Corolla - mikeinlondon
I bought a one year old Corolla, 1.6 auto, which I am very happy with. Its my first car with air con, and I must admit i cant seem to get it very cold in the car at all (if you have an air jet directly on you its cold, if not it doesnt feel that cold at all)! At first my Dad said it would need re-gassing after one year anyway, so I phoned the Toyota dealer and they said oops yes it should have been done and did a full re-gass.

I have to say though, despite being re-gassed it doesnt seem much colder, and now there is a musty smell that wasnt there before it was done!

The manual recommends using the air intake on fresh and using face air jets, which I do, but i need the keep the temperature dial on coldest setting to get enough cold air out. Am I expecting too much of air-con (or the Corolla's air con) or should I be able to get my car feeling like a fridge??

Also there is a definate 'clunk' from the engine when it is turned on, is that normal?

Mike
air-con on 1yr old Corolla - No Do$h
I suspect the "clunk" is the compressor clutch engaging. As for the performance of the A/c, that doesn't sound right to me.

A/c shouldn't need regassing after just a year if it has been used regularly. If not, it's possible the seals are kaput, but again 12 months seems a short time for that to happen.
air-con on 1yr old Corolla - Mark (RLBS)
The clunk is fine.

As for the performance, any Toyota I've ever had has done a pretty good job of depressing brass monkeys. Do you have access to another of a similar model you could try ? Maybe take one for a test drive or something.