What would you buy for ~£12k? - ARUU
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum, so firstly, hello!

Now getting to the point...

I have circa £12k to spend on a new (to me) car, and I require it to fulfill the following:

- seat 5 adults (all with 3 point belts) and have a good sized boot for their luggage
- ~50 mpg (so a turbo diesel is a must)
- accept a towbar
- accept a roof rack
- climate control
- cruise control
- 03 reg or newer
- reasonably brisk performance (0-62 100mph if required)
- have reasonably taut and well weighted handling to provide an element of entertainment (no mpvs or van derived cars).
- a well supported service/parts network
- image isn't too much of a concern - rep-mobiles not a problem
- RWD would be preferable (handling), but I accept this is most probably out of the question.

So what would you suggest?? All suggestions are very welcome!

Cheers,

ARUU

What would you buy for ~£12k? - Sooty Tailpipes
You can get a practically new top of the range Vauxhall Omega with about 6,000 miles on the clock for this price, it would meet all of the criteria above, apart from the 0-62mph would be a bit slower, about 12 sec on the auto I think.
What would you buy for ~£12k? - Quinny100
Your requirements scream Mondeo TDCi 130 to me.

There are very few big diesels that do 0-60 in 10 seconds, and there are fewer that do 0-60 in 10 seconds and return 50MPG, I'm getting near that in my Mondeo on mixed use.
What would you buy for ~£12k? - ARUU
Quinny100

The TDCI is currently sat at the top of my list as it seems to be a pretty effective package.

I was hoping to come across a more original choice, but so far to no avail.

What would you buy for ~£12k? - Dynamic Dave

Vectra 1.9CDTi.
150bhp @ 4000rpm. 315Nm torque @ 2000rpm.
Max speed 135mph. 0-60 in 8.8 secs.
Urban driving, 37.2mpg. Extra Urban driving, 57.7mpg, Combined Figure 47.9mpg.

All come with cruise and air con as standard.

What would you buy for ~£12k? - Canon Fodder

Can't get one of those for £12k though surely DD?
What would you buy for ~£12k? - Dynamic Dave
Can't get one of those for £12k though surely DD?

Not sure how long the 1.9CDTi has been available, but in the first 6 to 10 months, like with most new cars, the price plummets quite dramatically. Probably pick one up at auction with a few miles under it's belt, and still have the remainder of it's 3 yr warranty to cover any possible problems.

What would you buy for ~£12k? - Aruu
Cheers for the reply.

I've only seen these for sale at dealers - non of the importers appear to have them, and on the basis of the list price, I'm guessing they won't be £12k? The (straight line) performance stats are pretty impressive I have to admit

I've heard massively mixed reviews of the new vectra's handling. However the general concensus appears to be that it's more refined on a motorway than a Mondeo, but for the keen driver that has no choice but to own a compromised family hatchback, the mondeo offers greater reward.

What would you buy for ~£12k? - bradgate
Hi ARUU,

Welcome to the BR.

Motorpoint are offering 04 Vauxhall Signum 2.0 DTi Elegance for £11699.

This is clearly a lot of car for the money, but the consensus seems to be that the Signum may become an 'orphan', and therefore a poor investment unless you intend to keep it.

What would you buy for ~£12k? - Sooty Tailpipes
When I hired a Mondeo a few weeks ago, it was whatever the opposite of Germanic is.
What would you buy for ~£12k? - machika
Obviously there is no point suggesting anything French or Italian, but how about a Nissan Primera 2.2 dCI? I understand they can be had for low prices from new and there must be a quite a few low mileage used examples about.
What would you buy for ~£12k? - No Do$h
When I hired a Mondeo a few weeks ago, it was
whatever the opposite of Germanic is.

Italian?
What would you buy for ~£12k? - 3500S
Rover 75 CDTi. The 50mpg is possible. Qualifies for everything else, there's a few 2-yo pre-facelifts around for £12K.