wheel balancing weights - henry k
There are several just delivered, still sealed Range Rovers, Discos etc in a local mini pound.
I was surprised that all had large (some very large) clip on balance weights on their wheels.
I was not expecting to see clip on weights but rather the stick on types. Cost surely cannot be the reason on cars of this price range.
Are stick on weights for alloy wheels tbeing phased out?
wheel balancing weights - Civic8
I may be wrong.But have never beleived stick on`s a good idea.
they do fall off.clip on`s are clamped to wheel ie hammered on to wheel.so have less chance of falling off.if stick on type is being phased out can only think a good idea.I think safety side more than cost.but I dont know.would expect some one that knows to put me right.??
--
Was mech1
wheel balancing weights - Dynamic Dave
if stick on type is being phased out....

I hope not. My Vectra Alloys don't have a lip for the hammer on type weights.

wheel balancing weights - Sooty Tailpipes
I think stick-ons are getting more popular, as modern alloys don't lend themse;ves to having these crude things hammered on and prised off every year or so.

I have insisted on stick-ons for years, and often places did not have them, but now they all seem to. I've never lost one, as centrapetal force keeps them on the wheel, and as long as it's clean when stuck on should be fine. I have had clip-on ones lost though, this is because 90% of garages use steel-wheel contoured weights on alloys. alloy ones have two goles in the face.

In fact, lead wheel weights are being phased out altother by 2010 for 'environmental' and recycling reasons.
wheel balancing weights - henry k
I did notice that the weights appeared to be painted and not the naked lead I usually see. Is this to distinguish them from the steel rim fitting weights?
wheel balancing weights - John S
DD

My Astra SXi is the same; no ability to fix weights to the outer rim, either clip-on or stick-on. All the balancing seems to be done with weights clipped to the inner rim.

Regards

JS
wheel balancing weights - sala
all weight is good,beacuse we produce wheel balancing weights.
my mail/msn:juanjuan321@live.cn
wheel balancing weights - L'escargot
There are several just delivered still sealed Range Rovers Discos etc in a local mini
pound.
I was surprised that all had large (some very large) clip on balance weights on
their wheels.

Some vehicle manufacturers use clip-on weights designed to fit their own particular wheels. Clip-on weights used by tyre fitting companies are invariably intended for steel wheels and consequently don't fit properly on the thicker rim of alloy wheels. I always specify stick-on weights on the inside face of alloy wheels, and I've never had any problem of them coming off. In point of fact the shape of the outer rim of my current alloys just isn't suitable for any design of clip-on weight. Before I have new tyres fitted to alloys I take the precaution of removing the wheel(s) from the car and clean the inner faces ready for the stick-on weights.
wheel balancing weights - Peter D
Please do not use the words 'Alloys' and 'Hammer on weights' in the same sentence. Alloys should never have anything other that type specific or stick on weights. Regards Peter
wheel balancing weights - L'escargot
Please do not use the words 'Alloys' and 'Hammer on weights' in the same sentence.

Not even "In point of fact the shape of the outer rim of my current alloys just isn't suitable for any design of clip-on weight." ?
;-)

Edited by L'escargot on 26/08/2009 at 10:25

wheel balancing weights - Peter D
Knock on weights detroys the powder coat, laquer or anodizing and the corrosion starts that day. A good balance fitter will use stick ons just inside the spoke line for the out edge and the inner edge for the inner balance if required. Some less experienced fitters use a single weights stuck in the middle but that I avoid. Regards Peter
wheel balancing weights - bathtub tom
Ive just had tyres fitted at a couple of different places.

The first used 'knock-on' weights only, on the inner rim of alloys, after I requested them not to use them on the outside. I took it back next day to get them balanced properly with a combination of 'knock-ons' on the inner rim and stick-ons inside the rim.

The second took one look at the stick-ons on the rims and declared 'we only replace like with like'. As the wheels involved had no 'knock-ons' then they wouldn't use 'knock-ons'.

My observations seem to indicate there are at least two different types of 'knock-on' weights. Those suitable for alloys seem to have a much larger gap and are plastic coated.