Peugeot 406 Hdi 110 - Frogeye
Hello.

I have an 2002 estate which has covered 68k mainly motorway miles. I have read in the forums before that general opinion is that the timing belt should be changed soon, despite Peugeot suggesting 96k miles. In addition the clutch seems to take up at top of travel. From the Haynes manual and looking under the bonnet, both appear to be pigs to do. I have previously done both jobs on a 405 non turbo, not difficult just time consuming.

Has anyone any experience please?

The car and owner have been put out to grass so just local journeys now!

Peugeot 406 Hdi 110 - DL
406 HDi belt is a cinch to do. If you can do an XUDT belt them you'll be able to do the HDi one.

Having the correct locking pins does help - it is a pin in the camshaft sprocket, not an M8 bolt.

I would suggest a 60k change interval on these belts.

Clutch pedals are always high on 406's.....
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peugeot 406 Hdi 110 - Frogeye
Hello DL.

Thank you for the reply and putting my mind at rest about the clutch. The thought of all the exhaust removal etc etc as detailed by Haynes put me off. Does anybody use the recommended electronic tension measuring kit? or the usual 90degree twist on the longest run of the belt.

John
Peugeot 406 Hdi 110 - DL
Book time for the clutch is some 7hrs+ but the job can be fairly easily done in a well equipped worshop in 4hrs....

Electronic tension? Nah, never use it (with no failures to date, fingers crossed!)

The 90deg twist method is too slack on an HDi engine - the belt shoudl deflect on it's longest run by about 5mm under firm thumb pressure when correct.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....