Cambelt K reg clio diesel. - stevek
Cambelt went last night on my daughters car so tonight I will be looking to fit a new one.I would appreciate any tips or things I should look out for. Is it straightforward and is it likely other damage would have been done like valves etc?
Cambelt K reg clio diesel. - Mondaywoe
My Mum's L reg Clio had a new belt a couple of months ago. I chickened out and got a local independent to do it. He said they are a pig of a job - very difficult access and the engine mounting has to be removed to get at it. Dealers reckon it's something like a 4 hour job at least.

I see your daughter's one actually broke.I'm sorry, I don't know the engine in enough detail to guess at whether damage has been done, but depending on the design, it's possible for the pistons to hit the valves with dire consequences! How did it expire? Was there an expensive bang? Hopefully, if the engine still turns over without seizing or making untoward noises it should be OK.

Best check the tensioner and waterpump while you're in there and change if at all suspect.

Good luck!

Graeme
Cambelt K reg clio diesel. - stevek
Thanks for that. Looked last night and it has damaged at least two valves so it will have to be a garage job.
Cambelt K reg clio diesel. - RichardW
Given the exceptionally low cost of used cars it will not be worth repairing. I'd have thought a 12 year old Clio would stuggle to pull more than £500, and the repair to the head will probably be the thick end of a grand. New car time I think....

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Cambelt K reg clio diesel. - Mondaywoe
Sorry to hear that. If you really do want to hold onto the car your best bet would be to find a friendly local garage - as opposed to a Renault dealer! Some of these chaps perform miracles.They might just happen to have a Renault diesel engine 'out the back' with a decent head. (The unit in the Clio is used on many Renault models - should be plentiful.)You'd need to be absolutely sure there is no warping on a replacement head, though - diesels need a spot-on seal at the head gasket.

Graeme