Increased Submarining Risk with Car Rugs - hypocrite
Hi,

If that doesn't win me the strangest title prize nothing will.

We are about to go to France, driving down to the Dordogne over two days. Our 8 year old will be in his booster seat (standard Britax model) in the back. In the past we've put it on a car rug so we can just shake out all the bits at the end of the journey.

Is this safe? We've been discussing long journeys and in-car entertainment/games/books at work and someone said that you shouldn't put anything on the seats.

The car is a MB C-Class Sports Coupe and the leather back seats are slighty sloping.

If we can't do this any suggestions about protecting the leather?

thanks,

Simon

Back Room Lurker
Increased Submarining Risk with Car Rugs - Mapmaker
My experience of children & child seats wouldn't cover the little fingernail of a newborn bairn. But... is the seat secured? If so, what is your concern?
Increased Submarining Risk with Car Rugs - Cyd
I do the same as you.

I've been reliably informed by fellow engineers (from restraints engineering) that provided the booster/child combo is belted up correctly there is no concern.
Increased Submarining Risk with Car Rugs - BobbyG
It would really depend on whether the seatbelt goes round your son only, or whether the booster seat is moulded in such a way that the belt goes round it as well?

If just round your son, then I would think that in the event of harsh braking the seat may slide forward but I really am not sure what difference it would make if he was on a blanket or not, as long as the blanket was tucked in to the back of the seat.

If the belt goes round the booster then it shouldn't make any difference.
Increased Submarining Risk with Car Rugs - volvoman
All the booster seats I've had/seen are shaped to accommodate the lap portion of the seatbelt. I thought this was a legal requirement for just the sort of problem Hypocrite mentions.
Increased Submarining Risk with Car Rugs - Altea Ego
Yup when Junior RF was on a booster we had one where the seat was kinda moulded with two "wings" or "hooks" that went over the lap part of the seatbelt.
Increased Submarining Risk with Car Rugs - J Bonington Jagworth
"all the bits at the end of the journey"

Couldn't you just refrain from feeding him while you're moving?
Increased Submarining Risk with Car Rugs - Victorbox
We used a thick towel under the baby seats (with metal frame) for both our children as the force the "experts" tell you to use to push down on the baby seat to securely position it as you lock it with the belts could easily mark the upholstery over time - particularly cloth seats with a pile. The need to protect the seat material from food etc was a secondary consideration. The towels stayed in place under the booster seats that subsequently replaced the baby seats. They are both teenagers now which brings a different set of problems!