Peugeot 406 1.9dt squeeling noise - Dartrader
I have 406 1.9dt P reg 1996,it's covered 153,000 miles. Recently it has developed a sqeeling noise when I accelerate hard. The nose builds up, then fades as less power is drawn. At first I thought it was a slipping belt, but it wasn't. I have driven it with no auxilliary drive belt to rule out the power steering pump and alternator etc.

I am now suspecting it may be the turbo to blame. Has anyone had any similar problems or have any other ideas ?

Any help would be appreciated.
Peugeot 406 1.9dt squeeling noise - DL
Yes - I've had squealing turbos on 306 Dt's - replacing the unit with known good used unit cured the fault. No apparent pipework leaks or blown seals anywhere.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Thanks DL for your reply. I was wondering as you have changed your 306 turbo if it is much of a job, the Haynes manual makes it sound quite simple on the 406, but after spending some time under the car checking the pipes etc it looks a pig of a job to get at the thing.

Also how is the best way of making sure the turbo from the breakers is a good one. I am under the impression it can have about 15 thou radial play and about 2 thou end float and no oil in the compressor housing.

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks.

If the 406 is anything like the 306 it\'s a right pink fluffy dice of a job. The front subframe has to come out to gain access. Definately a ramp job.

Unfortunately, there isn\'t a whole lot you can do to ascertain if a turbo is any good or not with it off the car.

The squealing 306 turbo when taken off looked and felt fine, no excess play etc etc.

You pays your money and takes your choice!

PS You should try changing a 306 HDI turbo (with EGR) if you want to experience a REAL tricky one.......

--
Thanks DL. In about 4 weeks time I will have a 5 day slot when I can have the car off the road to undertake the turbo replacement.

How long did it take you to change your 306 turbo? I am experianced with motors changed engines, boxes, clutches ect, but never worked in such a restricted way before.

Did you lift the engine off the mounts to give you more access?

Also what gaskets are required?, as the manual gives no indication to this.

Could it be done in a day, say five to six hours as I am self- employed and rely on the car for my income, so time is important.

Thanks
On a ramp, it took me some 4 hours to change the turbo on the 306. I don't see the 406 being much different, I'm sorry to say.

On the floor, it's gonna be a pig of a job. Often, it's as easy to lift the cylinder head and turbo off the engine as one lump!

With the subframe out, the engine does swing around somewhat, making access easier.

Gaskets? I reused the plate steel sandwich manifold gasket (loads more mork to remove the inlet manifold to change it - plus a smear of exhaust jointing paste as a little 'insurance'.

It *could* be done in a day, but you'd be going some on the floor, mind.
--
Thank you for your reply DL. Luckily I have a pair of ramps and I have located a used turbo for £100 plus the dreaded VAT.

So in 4 weeks time I hope to be rid of the sqealing noise, as I am fed up with driving like me grandad.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.
I wish you the best of luck; I hope the turbo is OK

Any problems, let us know.
--
Peugeot 406 1.9dt squeeling noise - dieselhead
Without a hoist it might be better to hire an engine crane and take the engine and box right out especially if the subframe has to come off and do the job in comfort. Horrible job trying to remove a turbo with bits of rust falling in your eyes using ramps. Only takes one sheared/ rounded off bolt head and any time you save is lost anyway.
Also you can easily do jobs like cambelt, clutch and check hoses round the back of the engine while it's out. Just a thought.
True - but that is one whole lot of work - probably 3 or 4 days on the floor.

I guess it just depends on how sure you are that everything will undo. I can't really think of any problematic studs and nuts concerned with this repair.
--
Hi all, 12,000 miles later I finally got round to sorting the problem. It turned out the clutch cable had worn through the small pipe that controls the Turbo actuater. It had worn a hollow 50mm long and compressed air was being forced through a slit in the thin pipe wall, acting like a whistle. I replaced the pipe and made a bracket to keep the clutch cable away from the pipe. I was lucky I hadn't bought the used turbo from the breakers last year. They said they needed the numbers off the tag, after spending some time under the car with a mirror and lamp trying to find the tag the wife came out and said "have you finnished yet". That was it, the air turned a shade of blue and I gave up. As it happens the squeeling stopped a few weeks later so I just kept an eye on it till last weekend. All is now well. Thanks for all your help. Dave.
Peugeot 406 1.9dt squeeling noise - autumnboy
That shows, always check the simple things first before going all hog into the big money jobs.