Megane MOT Woes - MeganeMan
Dropped my megane of for its MOT last monday, running pretty much perfectly apart from slightly spongy feeling brakes. MOT failed because the brake compensator was jammed and emmisions were too rich. To rectify the emissions they replaced the O2 sensor.

Since collecting the car I've had to top up the radiator twice in 7 days (never had to do this in 7 years), returned to the garage today to get them to rectify what I felt they must have broke (pipe burst\loose). Now they are telling me it needs a new Cylnder Head Gasket.

The are refusing to take any responsibility for it, my arguement is that it was fine when i gave them it or the should have noticed during the MOT (do they not check oil etc??). Any advice would be appreciated.
Megane MOT Woes - Aprilia
The are refusing to take any responsibility for it, my arguement
is that it was fine when i gave them it or
the should have noticed during the MOT (do they not check
oil etc??). Any advice would be appreciated.

*Extremely* unlikely you can pin this on the MoT station. They don't do anything that is likely to cause the head gasket to fail. Its your job to keep an eye on water and oil levels, nothing to do with the MoT. They only check the oil temperature (during emissions test).
At the end of the day its a seven year old Megane and you must expect it to go wrong.
I do regulary check water and oil levels, would just like to know if the repair the done to the O2 sensor was maybe pointless, it failed on emmisions, would this not also be due to the head gasket if it was leaking when I gave them it.

If it was not broken could the repair have cracked the manifold and the are now trying to rip me off and cover their error? They are pressure testing the gasket tomorrow to confirm it. I was considering taking the car to the local AA centre to confirm the current garages diagnosis.
Megane MOT Woes - Civic8
Apart from what Aprilia said.if you have head gasket leak it could have started ages ago.MOT repaires wont affect this.car failed on emissions.replaced sensor.fault fixed.if you had a crack in manifold you would know it.noisy exhaust.
--
Was mech1
8< snip 8<. A naughty word that has since been deleted. DD

Better start saving I suppose...

Thanks Anyway
Megane MOT Woes - DL
That's Renault reliability for you!

Think yourself lucky you don't own a Rover........
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....