VW Passat central locking problem - Turbodog
Anybody out there know how to un-jam a locked door on my 1999 VW Passat? Whether I use the remote or the key in the door the rear nearside door refuses to unlock; it just stopped opening yesterday for some reason, and will mean the kids have to get out on the road side....
Thanks
VW Passat central locking problem - Dynamic Dave
Whether I use the remote or the key in the door the rear
nearside door refuses to unlock;

Can you still open it by lifting the button and then operating the door handle?

If so, then either the soleniod has failed, or more than likely a wire has dropped off somewhere or wire(s) from the B post to the rear door have snapped through frequent opening / closing.

No, if you try to open the door from the inside the button comes up, but the door won't open. If I then grab hold of the button and try to open/close with the remote it still doesn't work.
VW Passat central locking problem - Stuartli
It sounds as though the deadlock is still active.

I came across this problem with a friend's Golf earlier this year and eventuallly cured it for him by first winding down the windows of the door involved.

I then reached in through the window and pulled out the door handle before operating the remote control's door locking; after a few seconds I kept pulling the door handle in and out, before "unlocking" the door with the remote after about 25 seconds.

After three or four similar attempts, the deadlock suddenly deactivated and the central locking operated as normal afterwards.

The main point is that it prevented the car's trim having to be dismantled to get at the mechanism - it never looks as neat again after reassembly and also saved a hefty labour charge.

Thanks; i've managed to unlock it using that technique. Can't lock it now though....
VW Passat central locking problem - Aprilia
You might need a new door lock mechanism. I fitted one to the driver's door of a '99 Passat last year. It wouldn't lock. Its a 'known problem' apparently. The lock mechanism cost about £80 IIRC.
VW Passat central locking problem - DL
Another example of fine VAG engineering, eh?
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
VW Passat central locking problem - Adam {P}
I thought I was stung badly for a £50 mechanism for a Ford!
Adam
VW Passat central locking problem - Halmer
The Passat and Golf door locking mechanisms are too complicated for their own good I think. Not sure if it makes them more secure or not.
It's a relief when it works. Keep trying the same method to get the locking to work.

As I said previously, once the deadlock had been freed, in my case the central locking worked OK.

Also check that the child lock settings are set either "on" or "off" properly and not between the two points.

It's also worth reading the manual to check out the remote control and door key settings/configuration.

If I remember rightly, the rear door deadlock probably remained active because a front door hadn't been opened within a set period after being unlocked with the remote control, but the other rear door had been in use.

VW Passat central locking problem - pdc {P}
I've had this a few times. The connector between the pillar and the door becomes loose. I've often wondered how they would actually get it open if the child lock was on. Fortunately, it's the door on the other side of the car which has the child lock set.

Everytime I lock the car now I have to glance to see that the rear door has locked.
VW Passat central locking problem - fatherjack
I recently bought a 1999 Passat.
The problem I have is that when I drive off all the doors lock,except that the front passenger door then unlocks immediately.
Everytime I slow or stop this repeats when I pull away again.
This double clunk is driving us nuts!!
Any ideas what causes that?
This just might be something to do with the automatic central locking security feature.

I have a 1999 (2000 year specification) Bora and found out, quite by chance shortly after geting it that, if you use the remote to unlock the car and then don't open one of the front doors within 30 seconds, it automatically locks itself again.

It does mention this in the handbook, but I found out whilst washing the Bora and unlocking it to enable me to clean inside the doors after doing the exterior; each time I did, it locked itself after half-a-minute or so....:-)

The handbook also pointed out that the first click of the remote opens the driver's door and a second press is required to open the other doors. It doesn't state how you can configure these settings, only to go to a franchised dealership.